Art is important for child development. With this, one of the best ways to make the most out of your family time is to get crafty with the little ones. There’s no need to be an artist to teach kids basic crafts. Read on and we’ll let you know how to make this a success.
- Look for Inspiration Online : If you have no idea about the art projects that you can teach kids, it is best to go online and look for inspiration. Check out Shutterfly.com for some ideas. There is a section of the website that features Ideas & Inspiration, making it easy to get started. Aside from art project inspirations, Shutterfly is also a source of anything artsy and crafty, such as canvas prints, wedding invitations, and personalized jewelry, among others.
- Make It Fun : There’s a reason why kids love playtime – it is fun. When it comes to doing arts and crafts with them, they will be encouraged to participate if they know that it will be fun. Do not put too much pressure on the kids. Make the environment less formal. Let them think that it’s just another game where they can be who they are.
- Focus on the Process: As a way of making the art project fun, focus on the process and not the output. Let this be an opportunity for the kids to show their creative side. Allow them to experiment instead of sticking to the rules.
- Provide an Accessible Area : It is also a good idea to have a dedicated space at home where kids can get crafty. It should have everything they need to engage in an easy project. Provide low tables so that they can work easily.
- Do Not be Judgmental : Do not judge kids with their outputs. As mentioned earlier, your focus should be on the process and not the final product. Make kids feel that they are doing a good job even if they are not doing it correctly. This will motivate them to be better at what they are doing.
- Reward Kids: Another way to encourage kids to participate in crafty projects is to provide rewards. It can be as simple as a candy bar or a toy. When they know that there is a reward that awaits when they complete a task, they will have the motivation to do it with you. Give a reward that they like so that they will be compelled to finish the project.
- Keep It Simple : One of the reasons why kids hate being crafty is because it can be quite difficult. Yes, that can be the case, but this is true only if you pick the wrong projects. Look for simple arts and crafts. Make sure as well that it is age-appropriate.
In sum, getting crafty with kids is a good way to teach them how to be creative. Make it a fun activity so that they will enjoy it!