The information, products and Publix gift cards were provided by General Mills through Linqia. Publix wants you to make it a Viva Italia Night! I would love for you to enter my giveaway below, visit the following sites for recipes ideas: Hunts, Progresso, Pillsbury, or Betty Crocker, and head to Publix for exclusive in-store savings from 2/19 to 3/4! Don’t you think a home-cooked Italian meal is the best? It is often a super affordable meal choice, so you don’t have to sacrifice taste to eat frugally. It my home it is an easy way to draw the whole family together. Most of the recipes we cook that are Italian all begin with a good bolognese sauce! It is a sure way to start the celebration of #PublixVivaItalia!
As an Italian, I have heard many theories on the way to make a proper bolognese meat sauce. There are arguments on the types of tomatoes, the thickening agents, type of sugar if any at all, and exactly which meat and how much you should use. If you want to get super technical on the discussions, in some families they don’t even use (GASP) canned tomatoes! I do use canned, but I prefer them to be whole, Pomodoro, and San Marzano. You can find these canned at your local Publix. I use Progresso Tuscany broth to boil my pasta and Progresso bread crumbs to thicken my sauce. I use carrots & brown sugar to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes and Pinot Noir as the red wine. I use milk to tenderize the meat, and ALWAYS use three types of meat. What do you do special for your bolognese sauce?
Ready to go shopping? Grab these Hot coupons! Save $0.30 When You Buy ONE Bread Crumbs, Beans, Broth, Vinegar, Seafood Sauce Or Artichoke Hearts
You can download Ready, Set, Plan coupons for Publix here.
- 2 T olive oil
- 6 T butter
- 1 Vidalia onion
- Handful of whole baby carrots
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1.5 pounds ground pork
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausage
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 c milk
- ¼ t ground nutmeg
- 2 c red wine (I use a Pinot Noir)
- 2 28 oz cans of pomodoro san marzano tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 T of brown sugar
- 1 small container of fresh mushrooms
- 2 T Progresso™ Italian bread crumbs
- 2 T Progresso™ Tuscany chicken broth
- I start with an iron skillet and combine the mushrooms, onions & 2 T butter until the onions are translucent.
- Add the sausage and cut into slices.
- Then add the ground meats and brown.
- Add the milk and simmer until the milk is evaporated.
- Add nutmeg.
- Add wine and after the wine has completely evaporated pour into a crock pot or large pot
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add in carrots & sugar to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes
- Add bay leaves, oil and bread crumbs
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Cook for 6 hours
- Cook the pasta in the Tuscany chicken broth instead of water.
You can also get win a $10 Paypal giveaway by visiting one of the following sites: Hunts, Progresso, Pillsbury, or Betty Crocker and explore the various recipe ideas. Leave a comment on my blog telling me which recipe you are most interested in from one of the sites during Public Viva Italia Days! You can enter one comment per site. I will choose a winner from the comments at the end of the campaign.