My family have terrible allergies and this is the time of the year they are the worst. I feel so badly for them because they are just miserable. To make it worse is we have just about as many allergens inside the house as there are out. I know my kids feel like they are caught between a rock and a hard place. They told me the other day they felt they had no safe place to escape all the things that make them sneeze so much! I cannot do much about the allergens outside, but I do have some control over what is inside my home. Here is what I have done to make life for my family more manageable inside my home:
5 Ideas To Make Your Bedroom Allergy Proof
- Eliminate Clutter: Dust loves to hang on to things like knick knacks, fabric, books, and magazines. Keep these things to a minimum and do not store things under your bed unless they are in containers.
- Vacuum Often: I have a great vacuum which has amazing suction power and is easy to maneuver. It is recommended you vacuum the floors at least twice a week and if possible, with a HEPA filtered vacuum. In addition to the carpets, you should vacuum your mattress at least once a month and flip it every 2-3 months.
- No Pets: If possible, keep your bedroom a pet free zone. I know this can be difficult, especially if you have pets who are used to sleeping with you.
- Keep Cool Air: Dust mites and mold like a warm and damp areas. Even if it is tempting to open the windows, keep them closed. Turn on the air conditioner and enjoy the cool air.
- Sheets: You should wash your sheets every week to keep them free of dust mites. Another way to allergy proof your bedroom is to find anti microbial sheets like those from PeachSkinSheets.
One of the reasons I love my job is finding products which can make life easier or better for my family as well as our readers. I was unaware you could purchase sheets which were anti microbial until I came across PeachSkinSheets. This is a great way to allergy proof your bedroom. Not only are the sheets from PeachSkinSheets hypoallergenic, they are also perfect for sensitive skin or skin conditions like eczema, which Caitlin has. Also, because they use a high performance yarn, pet hair cannot get into the fabric. This helps reduce the your allergies in the bedroom and as an added bonus, your kitty will be less likely to get their claws caught in the sheets.
We were sent the beautiful Beach Blue in Queen, which sells for $70 on the PeachSkinSheets website. As a matter of fact, all the sheets sell for the same price, no matter the size. You can choose from 11 fade resistant, including Sage Green, Eggplant, Chocolate, Classic White and Midnight, to name a few. You would not believe how incredibly soft these 1500 count sheets are. I wish there was a better word I could use other than soft so you knew how soft they were! These are like butter! They have 18″ deep pockets, so they are not going to pop off if you move while you sleep! They will not shrink when you wash and dry them and they dry in just 15 minutes on medium heat, which helps you save on your energy bill! The only problem I have found with the sheets so far is everyone fights over whose bed they go on. To solve that problem, we all sleep in the same bed! If you are looking for a great fundraising idea for your company, school or sports team, PeachSkinSheets is perfect. They offer $20 on every set of sheets sold, which is absolutely unheard of! Be sure to follow PeachSkinSheets on Twitter and Pinterest. One USA reader will win one set of PeachSkinSheets in their choice of size and color ARV $70.
How do you fight allergies in your home?