When we give someone a gift, it isn’t just a physical handing over of an item; it’s a way of expressing our love and gratitude for that person. Putting some thought into a present is a way of showing someone just how much they mean to you and it can provide the recipient with an overwhelming feeling of happiness.
However, choosing a gift that means something and will provide the recipient with the wow-factor can often be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be. All it takes is some perception skills and a touch of creativity and you could be the one that everyone else envies as the recipient opens the most awe-inspiring gift anyone has ever seen!
- Make Observations About the Recipient: If you can take note of what interests your friend or loved one has, you’re halfway there when it comes to the art of giving thoughtful presents. For example, if you know that they hate physical exercise, you’ll know that a gym membership is an absolute no-no. To avoid this disappointment, try to drop hints into conversations to find out what they like and dislike and what types of things they’d find useful. Equally, if you can observe your recipient to see what their life may benefit from, you could find them a present that they maybe hadn’t thought of but actually do need. Let’s say your friend has a super busy work and social life and never takes any time out for herself – if so, she’d benefit from a relaxing spa day or treatment. Or, if you’ve got a friend who’s recently started a new job or has started working from home, unique stationery from a company like Trulie would be ideal!
- Choose Based on Personality: If you don’t consider what type of person your recipient is then you’re not going to find a gift that’s unique to them. Take their hobbies and interests on board when you choose their present so you can be sure they’ll know that you care about them and understand who they are. So, for someone who loves fashion, you may consider buying them something that’s forward-thinking in the fashion world. Or, for someone who’s always jetting off somewhere, you could opt for a cute passport holder.
- Opt for Something That’s Full of Good Luck: When it comes to those occasions where you’re looking for a gift for a wedding, new job, graduation or housewarming, you may want to opt for something that will emulate good fortune for the recipient. Choosing an item that symbolizes something is a great way to go, such as turquoise for healing or an owl for good fortune and protection.
- Consider Giving to a Good Cause: Is your recipient one of those people who is impossible to buy for? If they are, don’t worry, because there is a gift that you can give to the person that has everything or wants nothing – a gift from or a donation to a local charity. Choose a charity that’s close to their heart and either select something that you can buy for them that will put money to this good cause or simply make a donation on their behalf. For example, if they love wildlife, why not give to a charity like the WWF? They also offer the chance to adopt animals which would make for the most awesome gift! Or, if they’ve lost a loved one or have had a battle with an illness, taking the time to donate to their relevant charity will mean the world to them.
- Be Creative with Your Gift: If you like to get stuck in when it comes to presents and you’re a dab hand at creative projects like card making, why not create your own gift? From writing a poem to creating a memory box that is full of photos, sayings and memos of the time you’ve spent together, there are so many possibilities when it comes to DIY presents. Simply kit yourself out with some accessories and get creative! Or, if you’re partial to cooking, why not make some homemade jams, chutneys or relishes that you can give to people? This is ideal if you’re putting together a hamper for thanksgiving or Christmas!
Whatever your recipient’s tastes are, there’s sure to be a present for them. With a little thought, creativity and some personality, you’ll be able to provide your recipient with a gift that doesn’t just wow them on the day but for many days after too!
George Rice works as a personal shopper. He is a fashionista who loves sourcing unique gifts that will thrill the recipient and be loved and cherished for many years after the event.