One of my all time, favorite comfort foods is Baked 3 Cheese Macaroni and Cheese. This is a delicious, creamy version of macaroni and cheese that combines the taste of three different cheeses. It’s topped with buttery baked bread crumbs and Onion Crunchers.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or other small pasta
- 6 tbsps butter
- 6 tbsps flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ozs shredded romano or fresh shredded Parmesan
- 4 ozs shredded asiago
- 4 tbsp butter (for breadcrumbs)
- 2 cups bread Italian style crumbs
- 2 tbsp Onion Crunchers
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta & cook per directions on the box.
- In a large pan, melt butter. Sprinkle flour over butter and cook 2 to 3 minutes on medium, stirring until it forms a roux or paste. Add milk and stir until well blended. Cook over medium-low heat until thick and bubbly. Add heavy cream and the cheese. Cook until cheese is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture and mix until blended. Pour into a 13x9 baking dish. Melt 4 tbsp butter in pan and add breadcrumbs. Stir until blended. Add Onion Crunchers.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the macaroni and cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Ellen is a busy mom of two teenagers who left the corporate world in 2008 to focus on a more eco-friendly life. She lives in rural Vermont where she juggles family, two blogs and a career in social media. You can find her at Confessions of an Overworked Mom