My kids love vegetables. I have been feeding veggies of all sorts to them since they could chew. BirdsEye recently joined together with iCarly for an iCook with BirdsEye initiative. My son, Jakobi, and I went to their website, and took a look at all the neat, kid friendly recipes we could make together. Jakobi loves looking for recipes for us to make online so he has experience. So much so, that when we were looking he started talking to himself muttering about shrimp. He was looking for a recipe with shrimp in it. I told him we were going to make a veggie recipe together, and he agreed as long as it had shrimp. Then, he wanted to make a flag. A flag? It seems he recently helped Grandma cook and they made a roll. Grandma let him arrange all the ingredients on the pastry and told him it was like a flag. The stripes I guess? Anyways, that is how the Baked Vegetable Shrimp Roll recipe was born.
When we went shopping at the store, we wanted to get vegetables that were bite sized, so they would be easy for the kids to chew. We also wanted a tasty variety. Jakobi wanted baby corn. I wanted something with a light sauce to make the recipe super simple to make. I find that when I am cooking with Jakobi, the simpler the better. The BirdsEye site had a ton of great recipes, I just know would be crowd-pleasers. I know this is a site we will return to for ideas often since we buy BirdsEye on a regular basis. You should check it out. I am sure you can find something your family would love too!
Jakobi had fun helping me arrange the veggies in neat rows. He picked which vegetables went where and in which order we placed them. It sure was a messy activity, but aren’t all the fun ones? I rolled up the wrap by tucking the ends and folding as I went. I knew the shrimp and the veggies would get juicy so I did not want any of the juice to escape.
Jakobi layered the cheese and sprinkled the garlic seasoning on top. (I had to arrange the cheeses a little, but he did a great job!)
Look how well it came out! We just could not wait to cut into it to see how yummy it tasted!
Now for the taste test! It was a huge hit and he cleared his plate! Of course, Jakobi takes all the credit for creating such a great recipe.
- 3 String Cheese sticks (reserve one for the top)
- 1 package crescent roll dough sheets
- 1 package Birds Eye Steamfresh Asian Medley
- Garlic seasoning
- 1 cup baby shrimp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Unfold the dough sheet
- Sprinkle garlic seasoning on the inside of the sheet
- Arrange the shrimp, veggies and cheese in rows at one end
- Roll up the dough and seal the ends by lightly pinching them together
- sprinkle garlic on top & arrange cheese in a crisscross fashion
- Bake for 40 minutes
Save your favorite recipes on the web right to your ZipList online recipe box. You can even add ingredients from each recipe to your shopping list and take it all on-the-go to the store with ZipList’s free mobile app. To add a recipe to your list or recipe box, just click the “save recipe” button. Then sign up using your email address, Facebook or Twitter account. You can get the free mobile app for your iphone or android from ziplist.com.
Recently, a whole mess of kids shared their wild and wacky veggie creations as part of the “iCarly iCook with Birds Eye” initiative. You can see more recipe Examples from the Birds Eye Kids Website! Here are a few of the neatest ones on the site like the Veggie Martians.
- Yakimaniac Veggie Martians (as seen on iCarly) – Martian-ize dinnertime by letting kids add personality to these delights with edible glitter, pretzel antennas, and veggie faces.
- Veggie Cupcakes – Let them eat cake (as long as it’s loaded with veggies). Parents can feel great about this savory, veggie-licious spin on a classic, favorite treat: the cupcake.
- iTasty Corn Pizza with Pumpkin – Not your standard slice of pie, this pizza packs a punch of pumpkin and veggie-rich layers in every bite.
- Taste Tester Corn Jalapeno Dip – This zesty dip deserves a fiesta. With individual tortilla bowls, kids will love this vibrant blend of colorful vegetables.
- Veggie Smoothie – Scrumptious. Sippable. Simple. This brilliant orange smoothie will leave the kids begging for more veggies – to sip.
I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Birds Eye. I received product coupons to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.