I don’t know about you, but for me, summer time is all about cool treats and the warm summer sun. For my husband, summer means prime barbecue season. We pull out the grill and the smoker and he whips up the most amazing fall off the bone ribs and chicken that you will ever eat. We love having our friends and family come over to play our slew of outdoor games and, ultimately, have an adult field day. These are the long, hot months that I really like to stay as far away from the kitchen as possible. I especially steer clear from my oven. I have a double wall oven that I absolutely love, and an open floor plan house which is great for entertaining…but not so great together. Each time that I turn it on, the heat from the oven pours directly into all rooms of my house. This is particularly unbearable when it is hitting close to 100 degrees outside! With 4th of July right around the corner, I thought what better time than now to test a new chocolate peanut butter icebox cake recipe for my friends and family to enjoy in just a few days!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Icebox Cake Recipe
Since Chris typically takes the lead on the main course with his grilling, I like to whip up simple side dishes and desserts. Honestly, no barbecue or gathering is complete without a delicious dessert. I can attest that there is nothing better than coming in to an air conditioned house and enjoying a cool treat after an intense game of cornhole. I am usually known for opening up a box of ice pops and calling it a day, but this last get together I decided to try something a little different. As I was perusing Pinterest I came across tons of vanilla and berry type icebox cakes. Now, I’m now going to knock vanilla and berry fans, but I consider myself a chocolate peanut butter girl. I became inspired to make my own icebox cake, but using delicious chocolate ingredients and a tub of Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Custard as filling. I’m almost positive that this no bake cake will be a star spangled hit this weekend!
- 1 Box of Chocolate Graham Crackers
- 1 Tub of Dreyer's/EDY’S® Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Custard
- 3 8oz Tubs of Whipped Topping
- Toppings (Optional)- Sprinkles, Chopped Peanut Butter Cups
- Spread a thin layer of whipped topping along bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish
- Lay graham crackers along bottom of baking dish. (I had to break one cracker in half in order to get measurements correct.)
- Using a food processor or blender, soften the Dreyer's/EDY’S® Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Custard until it is just soft enough to spread.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, spread a layer of Dreyer's/EDY’S® Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Custard over the graham crackers. Be sure to cover as much of the graham crackers as possible.
- Smear one tub of whipped topping over the custard layer.
- Repeat this process for the next layer as fast as you can to avoid melting.
- The top layer will be graham crackers covered with the last tub of whipped topping.
- Top with desired toppings.
- Freeze for at least 2-4 hours prior to serving.
I thought that using Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Custard in my recipe would make for a more decadent option than ice cream, since it is traditional ice cream’s creamier cousin! Dreyer’s/EDY’S® is the first national brand to offer the beloved all-American treat – thick and creamy Frozen Custard comes in the following yummy flavors:
- Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Old Fashioned Vanilla Frozen Custard
- Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Chocolate Malt Frozen Custard
- Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Salted Caramel Pretzel Frozen Custard
- Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Snickerdoodle Frozen Custard
- Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Peanut Butter Pie Frozen Custard
- Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Mint Cookies ’N Cream Frozen Custard
Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Frozen Custard is available nationwide at retailers such as Safeway, Kroger, Walmart, Target, Delhaize, HEB, Publix and others in their freezer aisles. Do you have any plans for 4th of July? Tell me how you make 4th of July special for a chance to win a gift pack containing coupons to redeem for free Dreyer’s/EDY’S® Frozen Custard, ice cream scoops, bowls and spoons – everything you need for your own Frozen Custard party!