When I was growing up, I was one of 6 kids. Mom didn’t always have the time to hang out with the kids. We had a pretty big house, so mom spent a lot of time cleaning it, cooking, sewing our clothes and a ton of other tasks. When mom id have some spare time, she often found something fun for us to do as a family. We had a really nice park less than a 10 minute drive from our house. We would pack up a picnic basket, grab a quilt and have a family picnic. One of my favorite side dishes mom made was her potato salad. It was the perfect side dish to go with her fried chicken and biscuits.
When I became an adult, one of my signature dishes I would bring to get togethers was my moms potato salad. I have tweaked her recipe a bit, but it is basically her classic american potato salad recipe. I was thinking about mom a few days ago and remembered those picnics and it made me smile. I decided to get the family together for an impromptu picnic at the park down the street. Of course I had to bring fried chicken, biscuits and my classic american potato salad. To add some color to our outing, I brought several of my Bobby Flay™ accessories from Khol’s. To serve up my potato salad, I have the Bobby Flay Home™ 2-pc. Medallion Melamine Salad Server Set.
I have 4 of the Bobby Flay™ Double Old Fashioned glasses for our lemonade, which I poured from my Bobby Flay™ Red Plastic Pitcher01223. For grown up drinks, I also have the Bobby Flay™ Acrylic Margarita Glasses. All of these items are on clearance right now, so I am going back to pick up more while supplies last! And currently, for every $50 you spend at Kohl’s, you get $10 in Kohl’s cash back!
Classic American Potato Salad:
- 2 pounds red boiling potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 small celery stalk
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Place potatoes in a pot with water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Cool slightly.
- Cut warm potatoes into ¾-inch cubes . Layer them in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cut eggs and celery into ¼-inch diced cubes. Add relish. Add to potatoes ad stir in mayonnaise and mustard until everything is combined. Chill, covered, before serving.
What is your go to dish to bring to your picnic?