Human beings pee in toilets, cats pee in litter boxes, and dogs pee outside. However, it is not uncommon for pets to occasionally urinate inside the house and outside of their border. For reasons only known to them, your furry friends might decide to bypass the litter box and urinate elsewhere in your house.
While the pee is still fresh, you need to spread some towels over it. Do not press the towels into the urine because you will only be pushing it deeper into the carpet. Towels will soak up everything that has not already been absorbed by the carpet, making your clean up job easier.
Here are some products that will help you to clean up wet or set in stains:
- White Vinegar: White vinegar helps in neutralizing odors and works great for stains that have set in as well as wet stains. You should start by blotting up the stained area and then mix up equal parts of cold water and white vinegar. Spread this mixture generously over the stain and blot properly. After doing this and ensuring that the stain is out, you can let the spot air dry or speed up the process by using a vacuum.
- Club Soda: When pre-treating a stained carpet, you should try club soda because it works for most stains. Since this product is only effective while it is effervescing, you might have to apply the treatment several times to get desired results. Ensure that you blot the area dry before you apply the club soda. Once the club soda solution stops fizzing, you need to blot the area again immediately and then repeat as necessary. If the pee stain is not fresh, you should try using baking soda.
- Citrus-enzyme Cleaner: Most stain removal products contain enzymes that break down and digest odors and stains on a molecular level. To save money, you should consider making your own stain remover at home. However, because it would take three months to set, you should make it early enough to have it on hand. Take seven tablespoons of brown sugar and mix it with 1 ½ cups of orange and lemon peels. Have a liter of water and a container that is large enough to hold all these ingredients. Funnel the sugar into the container then add the fruit peels. Finally, you should add the water, screw the cap on, and shake the container until all these ingredients mix up properly. Slightly unscrew the cap to release the gasses and ensure that your container does not blow up due to built up gases. Once the mixture is ready for use, you should use it to clean pet urine before people step on it and spread it. Moreover, if you do not remove the odor completely, dogs and cats might start marking their territory at the same spot repeatedly.
- Homemade Cleaner: To make your own ready-to-use cleaning agent, you should mix ¾ cup of hydrogen peroxide with a teaspoon of dish soap. Get some baking soda and sprinkle this solution over it then test the concoction on a small spot. You should start with a small spot because peroxide has the ability to bleach fabrics. If the solution works, you should work the baking soda into your carpet’s fabric for a thorough cleaning.
- Keep Your House Urine-free: If your cat refuses to use the litter box, something could be wrong with it. Cats usually stay away from dirty areas; this means that you need to clean out the litter box. You can also use products such as Feliway to stop cats from peeing in your house just by spraying it on the furniture or areas of the house that you want to protect.