When the kids start school, I am already setting my sights on the holidays. This is my time marker that tells me I have just a few months to get everything I need done before Christmas arrives. That is a total of 115 days, or 16 weeks and 3 days to be exact! One of my favorite things to do during the holidays is baking with the kids. We bake goodies for ourselves, our family and friends, my husband’s co-workers, our delivery guys and the kids teachers. As much as I do love to bake, it can be a huge time sucker.
With everything else going on at this time of year, as much as I love it, I cannot waste a ton of time in the kitchen. That is why I take shortcuts for baking that do not skimp on flavor. That is why I used canned goods as often as possible. Using canned goods saves you time but you still get all the nutritional value you deserve. We have a panty full of canned goods, including fruits, vegetables and of course, baking items. One staple in our kitchen is sweetened condensed milk because it is so versatile and s used in a lot of my recipes. One of my favorite holiday treats is cranberry sauce, dried cranberries and even crasins. Whenever I can use them in a recipe, I am all in and one of my favorite recipes is my Cranberry Cream Cheese Bars. They are super easy to make, I usually have almost all of the ingredients in my kitchen and everyone gobbles them up and comes back asking for more! Here is the recipe. I know you will love it as much as we do!
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (16 oz.) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE flour, oats, ¾ cup brown sugar and butter in large bowl until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1½ cups crumb mixture; press remainder firmly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- BAKE 15 minutes.
- BEAT cream cheese until fluffy in small bowl. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth; stir in lemon juice. Spread evenly over partially baked crust.
- COMBINE remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cornstarch in small bowl; stir in cranberry sauce. Spoon evenly over cream cheese layer. Top with reserved crumb mixture.
- BAKE 40 minutes or until golden. Cool. Chill. Cut into bars.
What is your favorite holiday recipe using canned goods?