For me, one of the most enjoyable aspects of owning a home is the freedom to make changes any way you like. I am always looking for a flea market find I can spruce up or something in the house that can be changed easily. One of my recent projects was to take an old TV cabinet and give it a face lift and find a new use for it. We have very little storage in the kitchen, so I took the doors off, painted it and now we use it for food and cookware storage. The next room I was ready to change was the bathroom because it was so stuck in the late 1980’s, it was pitiful! We only have a small budget to work with, so I decided to do a Google search and get some ideas for easy and inexpensive upgrades I could do. Here are some of the suggestions I found:
- Changing Hardware: One of the easiest changes you can do is to replace your old towel racks and toilet paper holders. You can usually find replacements for well under $50 at the local home improvement store.
- Storage: From my experience, many bathrooms do not have enough storage. I know we are sorely lacking in that area! Adding a few shelves, storage bins or an over the commode storage until are quite easy to do and can range in price from $20-$125.
- Light Fixture: Our light fixture is straight out of the early 80’s and it shows! It is oak with big round globes that are way too bright and shall we say, shows every little flaw!? I have not done so with this bathroom, but in our old house, I was able to find a gorgeous second hand light fixture for $35!
- Medicine Cabinet: This is a bit more expensive, but it makes such a huge difference. We have a really cool salvage store that many people go to for used fixtures, tiles and other things. When I wanted to replace our medicine cabinet, I was able to find a great cabinet that had been in a foreclosed house. We got it for a steal!
- Toilet Seat: I have had my share of dealing with toilets from having a young boy who liked to stuff toys into them! I replaced 3 toilets altogether because they had something stuck that we could not get out. One was from a tennis ball, one was from a plastic dinosaur and one was from 2 pairs of potty training pants. Our current toilet looks and works just fine, but the seat was another story. It was missing a bolt and was scratched up and looked like it had been through the ringer. We decided to replace it but my husband wanted to get a new seat that had a few extras. Based on their finely made toilet seats and bidets, Brondell was just the place for us to look.
Easy Bathroom Upgrades On A Budget
I have wanted to replace our toilet seat since we moved into this house but I just kept forgetting or putting it off. Had I done a little research and found how easy it would be to replace it and how reasonable the price, I would have done it months ago. If you are looking for easy bathroom upgrades on a budget, replacing your toilet seat is a great choice. I was sent the LumaWarm Heated Nightlight Toilet Seat from Brondell and I could not be happier with it. It took me 5 minuted to put it on, plug it in and get it working. The seat has 3 temperature settings, and the light is energy efficient which I love and it has a 1 year limited warranty. We had been leaving the bathroom light on for Henry in case he had to use the bathroom at night, but it was so bright, even with the door ajar. I love the soft blue glow from the LumaWarm toilet seat. It gives just the right amount of light to be able to see but not so much that it blinds you!
I have not had a heated toilet seat before, but I must say, it is pretty nice! My husband didn’t know I had replaced the toilet seat and he came out and said there must be something wrong because his bottom was hot! Hee Hee, guess I should have warned him! The kids have had a blast watching the “glow in the dark” toilet bowl and have had to show anyone who stops by! Needless to say, this was a much needed and very welcome change in the bathroom! In addition to their line of toilet seats, Brondell also offers a line of bidets that can fit into any budget. There is even a travel bidet for when you are traveling. All of the products you will find at Brondell are eco-friendly, high tech and innovative and affordable and you can purchase the fine Brondell products online
One reader will win a LumaWarm Heated Nightlight Toilet Seat ($119.00)