Welcome to the second edition to Weight Loss Wednesday, a feature we will be bringing you each week! You can read Jennifer’s post: Healthy Weight Loss Competition With Friends Can Make Dieting Fun from last week. This week we will discuss in home exercises to help you lose weight at home.
Exercises To Help You Lose Weight At Home
To have a diet be successful, you need to find exercises to help you lose weight at home. I joke about how it was when I was in my 20’s and all I had to do to lose weight was to skip a few meals. When I was bartending, it was really easy to be on the Diet Coke/Jager/Cigarette diet because I never took the time to eat properly. It was 20 years later that I realized how harmful that was to my body as well as my mind and my spirit. I think if you don’t have a healthy trio in those areas of your life, you will always be missing something in your life. With my back injury, I have not even been able to walk, so although Zumba is the latest craze, I couldn’t do it even if I wanted to (which I don’t). In my research, I did find some great exercises that would be effective but gentle on my poor back.
- Lift It: Laying on the floor with your feet a shoulder’s width apart, lift your bottom up and squeeze on the way up. Count to 3 and slowly lay your bottom back on the floor. This is a great exercise to strengthen and stabilize your back especially if you have been sitting for long periods of time.
- Stretch: Sitting on the floor, stretch your left leg out in front of you. Take your right leg and place it on the opposite side of your left leg. Slowly turn your body towards the extended leg. This is a great exercise to stretch your hips and back.
- Lunge: A simple lunge can do a world of good for your legs, hips and back. Try not to overextend yourself by going too low to the floor. This can do more harm than good. If you want to freak your family out, start doing lunges around the dinner table and see how they react!! If you suffer from back problems like I do, two great regimes to try out are Pilates and Yoga. Gaiam, one of the industry leaders in health and wellness has made a name for themselves for their high quality products we well as their ability to stay above the current trends so you get new trends from there before the other companies even think of it!
Yoga And Pilates Workout
I have tried a few cardio programs before but have never tried yoga and Pilates workouts. I have a few friends that swear by both and I was eager to try them as I heard they would be great for my back. I can’t do a lot of twisting and jumping and a strong core is exactly what I need. Gaiam has such a huge selection of health and wellness products that it is almost mind boggling. I tis kind of like your favorite store filled with things that are good for you! I was excited to try some of the products from Gaiam because they are such an icon in the industry that I knew I would enjoy using their products. I was given two DVD’s as well as a great starter package for a beginner like me!
- Mari Winsor Beginner Pilates – ($12.99): This wonderful DVD is brought to you by a great and warm woman; Mari Winsor. The DVD shows you the correct way to do the different exercises in order to have them are most effective as well as not hurt yourself. There were a few of the exercises that I wasn’t able to do, but it would be soon when I could do them all just fine.
- Intro to CorePower Yoga – ($14.98): CorePower Yoga is an awesome mix of cardio, strength and movement for the many yoga poses you can do. If you are looking for a great routine that will help you find balance, flexibility and heath, yoga is a wonderful choice. In order to get the most out of your yoga experience, you need to have the right tools.
- The Yoga Block in Purple – $10.98
- The Headband in Purple – $6.98
- The Water Bottle in Purple – $9.98
- The Thirsty Towel in Purple – $11.98
- The Braided Yoga Strap – $11.98
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my yoga products from Gaiam. I am still way not adept at this new way of exercising, but at least I look like I know what I am doing! I love getting up early and spending some time for myself with my new workout videos.
One reader will win Mari Winsor Beginner Pilates – ($12.99) and the Intro to CorePower Yoga – ($14.98):