Our smile is usually the first impression that we give to the outside world. Unfortunately, our smile also shows off our worst habits. It is widely known that smoking causes tooth discoloration with prolonged use. Smoking isn’t the only culprit when it comes to the demise of our pearly whites. There are many foods and drinks that also play a part in the staining of our teeth.
5 Foods That Stain Your Teeth:
- Wine Red wine to be more specific. Red wine is a pearly white assassin. It is acidic and contains tannins. Tannins are a bi-product of grapes and bind to tooth enamel and cause the deep red color to stick to your teeth. White wine isn’t quite as bad. The tannins don’t cause instant staining like red wine. Instead, the foods you eat while drinking white wine are what you need to be aware of.
- Coffee and Tea Just like wine, coffee and tea is acidic and full of tannins. Our porous teeth are no match for the tannins and dark coloration of coffee and tea, especially when they are served black. Light teas and green tea aren’t as detrimental, but they can still cause some discoloration.
- Soda Sodas and other carbonated beverages contain a similar acidity to battery acid. How scary is that? No soda is free of this high acidity, even clear sodas can do damage. The biggest problem with soda is sipping it throughout the day.
- Sauces Just think of that stain on your shirt from that tomato sauce that dripped during dinner. Bright and rich colored sauces are a huge problem for teeth. The sauce coats your teeth and eventually sets into your enamel.
- Berries Although delicious and nutritious, berries can cause some serious stains on teeth. Blueberries and other vibrantly colored berries cause the most damage. Berries are highly acidic and cause tooth enamel to weaken and stains to set.
There are tons of home remedies for avoiding tooth stains, but what if it’s too late? That’s where I stood. Paying the dentist a visit for a cosmetic procedure was not going to align with my budget in the slightest. That’s where Smile Brilliant came in. Smile Brilliant is a company based out of St. Louis, Missouri. Their dental lab was made specifically to cut the high costs associated with cosmetic teeth whitening, and that they did! My Smile Brilliant experience began once I placed my order through their website. I was notified through each phase of the order process, from confirmation to shipping. Shipping is speedy, arriving in just a few days. The kit was very user friendly, walking me through how to make the molds of my teeth in just 10 minutes. I shipped my molds off the very next day in their postage paid envelope and was alerted by e-mail two days later when they arrived at the Smile Bright lab.
Only a few days later and I received my own, custom teeth whitening trays. They are very easy to use and comfortable, too! Would you believe that I have them on in the picture above? The kit that I used, the Custom-Fitted Trays + 3 Whitening Gel Syringes, only costs $110! The same service at a dentist’s office would cost an upwards of $400+. After only three treatments my teeth are noticeably whiter and my smile couldn’t get any bigger! One USA reader will win a custom teeth whitening tray $110.
What are you smiling about today?