Our family loves to go to the park, and we try to go several times a week. We often have playdates and meet other moms, but sometimes we just go on our own. We are so fortunate to live in a park-rich area and have a really strong Geocaching community. I think that getting out and breathing fresh air and getting active is an extremely important part of a healthy active lifestyle. One that I want my family to adopt. Kids need to get out and be kids, play and horse around, burn off some of that energy so they get a great night’s sleep. If they learn to love being active now, it will not be a habit they have to learn later, it will be a lifestyle.
We researched our local parks, and I make it a point to plan a play date or family gathering at all of our local parks. Our town puts out a Park Newsletter from Lee County Parks and Recreation with all of the goings on printed for the quarter. You can find special events like Easter Egg hunts, camp outs, Goe-caching events, and Farmer’s Markets. We have a local farmer’s market every Thursday at Centennial Park under the bridge and is a local hangout for a bunch of my mom friends. we walk around, shop locally grown and burn calories with the kids.
July is National Park & Recreation month with the theme, “Get Wild.” Now is the perfect time to grab your family and go Get Wild. Here are FIVE fun things to do at your local park this summer!
- Fly A Kite – We love flying kites. It reminds me of the pureness and freedom of childhood. My kids always stare at the sky with amazement when the wind picks up the kite sails into the sky.
- Have a BBQ – Simply put, food just tastes better when it is made fresh and outside! Fresh grilled burgers and hot dogs or a juicy steak. You can even grill chicken or pizza! What a way to make an ordinary day, extra-ordinary!
- Exercise – Everyone who knows me, knows I detest exercise, so I often trick myself by having fun and sneaking in the exercise with games like ball and tag with the kids. Walks around parks to look at the beautiful landscape and riding bikes are also fun ways to “sneak” that exercise in under the guise of fun!
- GeoCaching – Most State and Local parks cooperate with GeoCachers and offer events and safe locations to place and find hidden treasures. Our family geocaches from time to time. It is a fun way to explore the world with or without your kids.
- Relax – Relaxing is an activity that many Americans forget to do, but it is so necessary in our daily lives to stay mentally and physically healthy. Parks provide fresh, clean air and beautiful scenery. They are the perfect place to relax with a good book or simply just sit.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL RECREATION AND PARK ASSOCIATION
The National Recreation and Park Association is a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing park, recreation and conservation efforts that enhance quality of life for all people. Through its network of 20,000 recreation and park professionals and citizens, NRPA encourages the promotion of healthy lifestyles, recreation initiatives, and conservation of natural and cultural resources. Also check out the NRPA website where you can find a calendar of local events happening across the country, the official toolkit, opportunity to take the Get Wild pledge, and information on the Get Wild Geocaching Contest. You can also connect the the NRPA on Facebook.
- The tool kit includes the 2012 Official “Get Wild” Social Media Poster, a customizable calendar, and various graphics.
- After taking the pledge to “Get Wild” in your local park and REC areas this July, you will receive a Facebook badge to proudly display.
- Information on the “Get Wild” Geocaching contest is also available on the website. This includes instructions on how to participate in the real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Explore local park and recreation areas in your community and share your geocaching photos on Facebook to be automatically entered to win one of 5 Magellan GC eXplorist GPS Devices in NRPA’s Get Wild Geocaching Contest.
I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of National Recreation and Park Association and received a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.
Great ideas! I love the park!
Comments are closed.