Before I began writing for this blog, I had been on a grand total of one business trip in my lifetime. I worked for a loan company and I flew to Washington, D.C. for a closing on a big bank loan. I flew up at 5 am, completed the transaction and was on a plane home at 6 pm the same evening. Since joining team Makobi Scribe, I have been on 6 business trips in just over a year. I absolutely love to travel and I get excited like a kid in a toy store whenever I find out I am going on another trip. Through a lot of trial and error, I have learned what I cannot leave the house without and what I need to leave behind. I have made a lot of progress since that first trip back in January of last year! I have compiled a list of 5 must haves for business travel and I wanted to share them with you:
- Spinner Luggage: I had no idea what spinner luggage was until about 6 months ago. I received a piece of carry on spinner luggage from Genius Pack and wrote about it in my review “Carry On Luggage That Makes Travel Easier.” When I received the bag and started playing with it and reading the directions, I realized I had a piece of luggage like the cool kids had! Now I will not travel with anything but my spinner luggage!
- Good Walking Shoes: When I travel, I do a lot of walking. I am not one to wear high heels, and I cannot imagine doing so on one of my trips. My last trip I walked over 30,000 steps in a little over 2 days! I have a pair of shoes from nursing school which were made for people who are on their feet all day. I would never dream of going anywhere on the road without them.
- Laptop:I have been told by my husband my laptop is my third arm and he is right! I cannot go very far from my house without it and I certainly cannot travel without it. I work while I am on the road, so I cannot leave without my laptop.
- iPod: I often listen to music, especially when I travel. I listen to it on the plane, when I am stuck in the airport with a layover and when I workout. It makes the time much more enjoyable and go by much faster.
- Portable Mobile Device Charger: I learned my lesson the hard way about not bringing a portable charger on the road. I was at an event where I was to tweet and take a lot of pictures. My phone died with about an hour to go and I had no where to plug in. Thankfully a friendly blogger loaned me her portable charger and saved the day as well as my neck. My newest and coolest mobile device charger I take on the road is the ChargeCard from NOMAD Goods.
The ChargeCard is a Micro USB cable, which sells for $30 on the NOMAD website as well as Amazon. It is the size and shape of a credit card. It is only the thickness of 2 credit cards and can easily fit in your pocket, wallet or purse. You can charge your smartphone with the ChargeCard from any USB port. It is compatible with my Samsung Galaxy as well as the HTC, Nexus, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Lumia, LG, many more.
I absolutely love my ChargeCard, not just for travel but for everywhere. I keep one in my luggage, so I always know I have it on the road. I also have one in my wallet, so if I am out with the kids and I need to charge my phone or tablet, I can. It has definitely been a lifesaver for me more than once, including my last business trip. I used it several times and was so happy to have it. You can also follow NOMAD Goods on Twitter as well as Instagram, Pinterest and Google+.
What is your number one must have when you travel?