I have been hearing about why going barefoot is healthy and was intrigued. I have always been a barefoot girl and I am wearing flip flops year round and the minute I am in my house the shoes come off immediately. Did you know that only 20% of the world’s population wears shoes? So, I know it feels great to be barefoot, but are there actual health benefits to doing so? Studies have shown that walking barefoot is good for your physical, spiritual and emotional well-being. I was delighted to find several very good reasons to join the barefoot club and here are my favorites:
Why Going Barefoot Is Healthy
- Clarity: When you are barefoot, your mind is immediately keenly aware of the potential to step on something unpleasant. Bearing this in mind, your mind is therefore sharper and more acutely aware, which in turn clears your mind of other thoughts.
- Yoga For Your Feet: Walking barefoot strengthens the muscles, tendons, and ligaments in your feet as well in your ankles and calves. By doing so, you decrease your risk of injury and back and knee strain and you also are improving your posture and strengthening your core.
- Lower Stress, Anxiety and Depression: When walking barefoot you are releasing the endorphins in your brain which are the feel good impulses and thereby making you feel happy and optimistic rather the gloomy and sad.
- Grounding Is Good: The earth has a negative ionic charge and when you are barefoot, you are grounding your body to that charge. Research has shown that negative ions help calm you, reduces inflammation and regulate your hormonal cycles. Want to know where you can get the most negative ions? The beach!! Now you know why you feel so great when you are walking on the sand!
- Become One With Nature: Your body loves it when you get out in the sunshine and immerse yourself in the natural beauty surrounding you. I bet if you close your eyes and picture yourself the last time you walked barefoot in the grass, you are probably sporting a big old smile!! You can’t walk barefoot you say? No problem! All you need is a good pair of minimalist shoes that are designed to bring you as close to walking barefoot without actually doing so. One of the best and front running makes of a fabulous shoe that is perfect for this? Kigo Footwear has designed and sells a fantastic line of minimalist shoes that are not just comfortable, but are great looking as well.
Shoes That Are Like Being Barefoot
I must admit, I was intrigued at the thought of shoes that are like being barefoot. I couldn’t picture how they would be made so that the feel would be close to walking without shoes. The design goal of Kigo Footwear was to design a minimalist shoe that was good for the body as well as for the Earth. The shoes from Kigo were designed with input from customers, doctors, athletes and many more to give you the best shoe possible. I chose the Kigo Flit ($87.00), which looks like a woman’s Mary Jane shoe. The shoe has a zero drop outsole, a flexible outsole that is only 2mm thick, and an adjustable strap and are water and stain resistant. The shoes are made with no harsh chemicals or dyes, so they are eco-friendly as well as very comfortable. I took my Flits to a convention and I walked probably 10 mile a day for 4 days and my feet felt as good at the end of a long day as they did when I was first getting started. The shoes look great and feel terrific. I could not be happier with my new shoes from Kigo.
One reader will win a pair of Kigo Flits ($87.00) in their choice of color, based on availability. Kigo has Free Shipping on all orders right now.