Now that I am beginning to tip toe back into the business world, I wanted to learn the wardrobe basics every woman needs to own. I want to put my most professional foot forward while staying on budget. If I can find some solid anchor pieces, I can build around them and therefore getting more bang for my buck. I know that styles and trends have changed since I was in the business world, so I was eager to see if the rules of business clothing had changed in those years. Here is what I found:
Five Wardrobe Basics Every Woman Needs To Own
- Jeans: I was surprised to see jeans on the list, but when I thought about it, I know many offices are more casual than before, so it made sense. It is recommended the jeans be a dark wash, which is more professional and that they have a boot cut, which is more flattering. Wear with a boot, heel or wedge if you are wearing them in the office.
- Shoes: There are two shoes that are recommended you have in your closet. The first is a classic black pump in a medium to high heel, as this shoe will go with everything in your closet, making it very versatile. The second shoe was a surprise to me and that is a snakeskin print in any color. Again, once I thought about it, this made sense as well. It gives texture and a level of fashion many women may not think to have.
- Jacket: Every woman should have a classically constructed jacket in a neutral color. The top colors that are recommended are navy, black or brown. Stay away from a trendy cut, style or color, as they will go in and out of style, while a classic blazer will always be in fashion. You can wear this to the office with a skirt or slacks and a classic top or a dress. For a more casual look, you can pair it with those dark washed jeans you just bought!
- Little Black Skirt? It seems the experts are split on this decision! Literally half of the fashion advisors recommend a black pencil skirt and half say you should have the classic little black dress. Honestly, either choice will be an asset to your wardrobe and can be worn with a variety of accessories.
- Shirt: Every woman needs to have the classic white button down shirt in their closet. This very adaptable piece will work with your pencil skirt, your dark jeans as well as that blazer you need to get. When I am looking for a well-made and professional look, my favorite place to shop online is Alight. This plus size clothing company has its competitors trying to re-create what they perfected years ago, all of course, falling short of the mark!
Classic Women’s Clothing
When I think of classic women’s clothing, I always think of Alight. This wonderful women’s clothier got its start in 1999 and quickly became a force to be reckoned with in the plus size clothing arena. The clothing from Alight is always made of quality fabric, is constructed to fit a women’s size 14W to 30W body perfectly and is always affordable. You can find just about any piece you need for every occasion, including clothing for the office, the PTA or a picnic in the park. I did not have the classic white button down shirt in my closet and I knew I needed one. Norman Weiss, who steers the Alight ship, always seems to know what to send and he did not disappoint this time either! I love the classic look of my white button down shirt ($32.00) with the touch of edge with the patent belt. For the plus size junior, you can find clothing from such designers as Blue Plate, Revolt and Last Kiss. I think it is a safe bet that regardless the need, Alight can fill it.
One reader will win a piece of women’s or junior clothing of Alight’s choice, in the winner’s size.