I’ve been in hiding for the last few weeks. Why? As you may recall from my last 9 months of posts, I was pregnant with baby #2, a girl. Well, she was born just a few weeks ago! Avery Elizabeth made her appearance, which also means that we are on lockdown for at least a few months through flu season…and the harsh Florida winter, of course. Unfortunately, this is bad news for Aidan. He’s my little sidekick. He loves running errands, going to the park to play and everything else that would normally keep him busy. Unfortunately, his baby sister has given his routine a huge shake up. Chris and I knew that there would be some adjusting that needed to happen, but we didn’t realize how difficult it would be to transition a 3 year old into brotherhood. We have found five fun ways to keep him busy at home, he hardly even notices that we aren’t making our daily run to the store! Chances are, you are probably looking for something fun to do with your kids while hunkered down this winter.
5 Ways To Have Indoor Fun With Kids
- Create a Color Station: There is probably a great chance that you have a roll or two of old wrapping paper lying around. If not, head out to the dollar store and pick up a roll. Make sure the back is grid free and completely white. Grab some tape and tape the paper print side down on your child’s activity table or even on your coffee table. Give them some crayons, markers or colored pencils and let them go to town!
- Have Story Time: Let your child pick out 5 or 6 of his favorite books and have story time. Discover new elements in each book by pointing out the illustrations. We like to count items like trees or cars in the background, we go through colors and shapes. We take our time with each book. Sometimes, we’ll even make songs out of the text! Aidan has a few of his books memorized and will even “sing” them opera style!
- Have a Dance Party: Turn off the TV and turn on some tunes! It’s time to dance! This is one of Aidan’s favorite activities and it’s a great way to stay active while being cooped up indoors. Download a radio application to your phone or throw in a kid friendly CD and shake a leg!
- Play Hide and Seek: Uncover all of those great hiding spots in your house when you play hide and seek with your kiddo. This is a great way to teach your toddler to count to twenty, too!
- Rev Up A New Toy: Sometimes the best way to contain a child is by giving them a brand new toy to play with. Bonus points if the toy is versatile! Aidan is in love with dinosaurs and race cars, so those are usually our go to toys.
Before Avery was born, Chris and I came up with a plan to make sure that Aidan still knew, and felt, as if he was our number 1 little guy. We came up with We were also given the opportunity to try out the VTech® Switch & Go Dinos® Turbo Bronco the RC Triceratops™. Aidan is obsessed with dinosaurs. He’s even stated that he would like to be one when he grows up. Aidan absolutely loves his Bronco the RC Triceratops! This Switch and Go Dino transforms from a Triceratops to a race car with the push of a button. The remote control is easy for him to navigate, and since it is for ages 3-8 years, it will grow with him! The LCD screen displays customization dinosaur eyes and driver animations, making Aidan feel important since he can choose whichever theme he likes. The VTech® Switch & Go Dinos® Turbo Bronco the RC Triceratops™ can be found on Amazon or directly through VTech for $44.99. VTech is always coming out with great toys that will keep your little ones occupied! Stay up to date with their latest and greatest news and products by following them on Twitter and Facebook! One lucky reader will win a VTech® Switch & Go Dinos® Turbo Bronco the RC Triceratops™ for their little guy or gal just by filling out the entry form below!