I know I talk about when I was a kid a lot, but it is just amazing how much things can change in a few decades. When I was heading for puberty, I was pretty average in height and weight and didn’t do a lot of in between meal snaking. Sometimes mom would take us for an ice cream or we would get a can of Charlie Chips, but other than that, it was healthy eating. When I was raising Chelsea, I was not as strict on the type of foods I bought and Chelsea had a weight problem when she was around 12. It took a bit of work to get her used to eating a healthier diet as well as for me in choosing better when I shopped. Now that Caitlin is in the teen years, she is struggling with her weight as well. We have changed our eating habits but I know there is more that we need to do to keep her from becoming overweight. So many kids today are considered obese and if we don’t get the problem stopped at home, where are these kids going to learn about healthy choices. Here are some easy changes you can make to help keep your kids from becoming obese:
How You Can Fight Childhood Obesity
- Drinks: Stop buying sodas and juices that are high in sugar. These drinks should be more of a treat than a staple in the diet.
- Fruits And Veggies: Make sure you are serving the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables. There are some delicious drinks you can serve that include vegetables. Another way to sneak these in are to puree veggies and put in sauces. The kids will never know the difference.
- Breakfast: Make sure your kids are eating breakfast. If you are looking for how you can fight childhood obesity, this is a fundamentally important piece of the puzzle. Not only does a good breakfast start the day right, but it will sustain your kids hunger until lunch time. They will snack when they are hungry from a missed meal.
- Dairy: Dairy is a great source of nutrition, but switch to the lower in fat choices for tings like string cheese, yogurt, milk and butter.
- Fiber: Sneak some fiber into your kids diet via a protein and fiber bar or drink that will keep their tummy full until the next meal.
- Healthy Snacks: Kids are going to want to snack, so the worst thing you can do is say no. Instead, offer a more nutritional alternative like dried fruit, yogurt or fruit pops, raisins, grapes or string cheese.
- Exercise: Turn that TV and those video games off and get those feet moving! Find a sport or an exercise your kids will have fun doing. Not all exercise is dull and boring! For Caitlin, she decided she wanted to try yoga with me, so we found some easy to follow DVD’s and have been slowly integrating that into our daily routine. In order to do yoga right, Caitlin wanted some cute yoga clothes to work out in. One company that has some really nice and cute yoga clothes for the whole family is Yoga Hyde.
My kids spend a lot of time running around and playing outside when the weather permits. Lately the weather has been so yucky that we have been staying inside. What I love about yoga is you can do it anywhere and as can easily do it in the family room. We have been taking it very slowly, just learning basic stretches and positions but we are having fun. Hyde Yoga sent us a cute and very comfortable yoga outfit to review. We received the drawstring pants and the long cami. I love the top because it is longer, so when you are working out, you aren’t showing a lot of skin. Caitlin loves the pants because they fit great but aren’t so tight that she can’t work out comfortably in them. I was also very impressed with the construction of the clothes as well as the high quality fabric used. These are absolutely top notch clothes and they are so comfy that Caitlin wears them to bed as well! Hyde Yoga is a company that started as a need for comfortable, affordable and well made yoga clothes for the entire family. The owner of Yoga Hyde, Anne had a running injury and too to yoga in hopes of relieving the source of the injury. Once it became clear to Anne that yoga was as much for the mind and spirit as for the body, the road eventually led to the creation of a very popular spot for yoga lovers to find the clothes they need and want. You can purchase the drawstring pants for $75 and the long cami for $49 along with their other awesome clothes from Hyde on their website.