This post brought to you by Butterball Every Day. All opinions are 100% mine.
I would never go as far as saying that we are health nuts in my house, but we definitely try to watch what we eat. After Aidan was born it became clear that Chris and I needed to start watching our waistlines if we wanted to be sure that we were around for our children for as long as possible. We try our hardest to find substitutes for foods that we shouldn’t be eating, like frozen yogurt instead of ice cream or hummus in place of mayo. We also almost always use turkey meat in place of beef or pork. Turkey bacon, turkey sausage and ground turkey meat are all found in our fridge on a consistent basis. Turkey meat is much leaner, but still amazingly flavorful.
Our favorite turkey meat to purchase has always been Butterball. Butterball turkey has always been linked to Thanksgiving. Even though Thanksgiving is coming up, Butterball is a year round kind of turkey! Since Chris was a chef in his former life, he makes some pretty amazing dishes. As a matter of fact, one of the last times my parents visited he made a Bolegenese sauce using fresh ground Butterball turkey. The best part about that is that my father is a very “meat and potatoes” kind of guy and has never willingly tried turkey meat aside from during Thanksgiving dinner. Well, he loved it! And he never knew the difference! The best part about turkey meat is that I can feed my family a delicious and wholesome meal without feeling guilty about feeding them something that wasn’t good for them. The next recipe that we will be testing out on my parents will be a zingy Jalapeno Bacon Turkey Burger. Even with the cheese sauce and bacon, turkey meat is able to save us a few hundred calories! Now that’s food I’m comfortable with! For more info, check out the Butterball recipes and to try this delcious product download the Butterball coupons!
Jalapeno Bacon Turkey Burger Recipe
- 1 package Butterball Fresh Turkey Burgers
- 4 oz bacon bits
- 2 cups mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Take turkey burgers out of packaging, sprinkle bacon bits on each side, pressing down to push the bacon into the turkey meat.
- Using a cast iron skillet or indoor grill, cook turkey burgers until cooked all the way though.
- In a sauce pan, make a roux with the butter and flour (by whisking the butter and flour for a few minutes until the taste of the flour is gone). Add the jalapenos at the same time.
- Once the roux is done, add cream and cheddar. Whisk until the cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Serve on a bun with the cheese sauce spooned over the turkey burgers.
What is your favorite recipe for turkey meat?