I have read about and have written posts on how to keep yourself cool during the summer months. We have had such record breaking temperatures it has been vital to make sure we take care of ourselves when we are out in this heat. What many of may not consider is how animals fare when it is this hot outside. If you are a pet owner, you probably know some of these tips but you may not be aware of them all. I thought it was a good idea to have a little refresher safety course on how to protect our dogs during the summer.
6 Ideas To Keep Your Dog Cool This Summer
- Time Your Walks: Even though it is hot, your pup still needs to get his exercise. Make sure you take him out either early in the morning or later in the evening, when it is cooler.
- Watch For Dehydration: Dogs cannot sweat, so you need to watch for signs they are not hydrated enough. If you seen your pooch panting or drooling excessively, is lethargic and has bloodshot eyes, they are dehydrated.
- Keep Your Dog Hydrated: You must make sure your puppy gets enough to drink when you are out in this heat. Make sure you carry at least one bottle of water and if possible, a portable water bowl, and let your pup drink as much as they need to.
- Let Them Dig: Your dog will find ways to stay cool, and digging in the dirt is one of them. Find a shady area in the park and let your pup dig there.
- Take Them Swimming: There is no better reason to get in the pool then to cool you and your dog off! Dogs love to swim, so this is a great time to cool them off and let them play at the same time.
- Get Creative: If need be, get creative when finding ways to keep your dog cool. One of the most unique products I have seen to keep your dog cool is the Aspen Pet® Self-Cooling Mat, distributed from Petmate.
I think of my pets as part of our family, so I take great care in what we buy for them. We buy organic foods for them to eat, so I am ensured they are getting a healthy and well balanced meal. This is important for them to grow strong and have a healthy coat, teeth, and organs. With Petmate, you can choose from products for your dog, cat and bird from such brands as Petmate, Bamboo, Fat Cat, Booda, Petmate and Aspen Pet. You will find with Petmate, they offer high quality items to give your pets a safe and comfortable lifestyle. They offer solutions to the traditional travel crates, bedding, toys, collars, leashes, food and water bowls and more.
I was sent the Aspen Pet® Self-Cooling Mat which is a creative way to keep your dog cool. This non-toxic gel conforms to the room temperature and absorbs heat. We were also sent the JW® PlayBites™ Caterpillar which is designed to hold your pups treats as well as excite their canine senses. It is indestructible and perfect for a trip to the dog park or a family vacation. The is great for family road trips or fun outdoors.
The Chuckit! FireFly™ LED Ball lets your dog have their exercise in the evening. It is an ultra-bright, multicolor LED ball which fades between colors. These products are available through Amazon as well as pet retailers nationwide. Be sure to follow Petmate on Twitter. One USA reader will win one Aspen Pet® Self-Cooling Mat ARV $20, Chuckit! FireFly™ LED Ball ARV $16, and JW® PlayBites™ Caterpillar ARV $13.
How do you keep your dog cool in the summer?