This post is sponsored by Always Liners, but all opinions are my own.
I can vaguely remember the items that I used to keep my in teeny tiny purse pre-children. Multiple lip gloss options, eyeliners, pens from random bars and restaurants and maybe even a pair of flip-flops. Things are looking a lot different inside my bag these days. First huge difference, I am now carrying a diaper bag that seems to get heavier as the days get longer. Sometimes I wonder why I carry all that I do, but then when I actually need something from my mom essentials list, I thank myself for thinking ahead. I have acquired knowledge over the years that has gotten me through the toughest of times with two children in public. Take note, my mom essentials list has been in the making for four years now!
10 Mom Essentials Every Diaper Bag Must Have
- Bottles/Cups: This one might seem like a given, but I’ve been in situations where I have had to stop for both. I always have two spare bottles and one spare sippy cup on hand. I have even purchased a pack of throw away sippy cups to keep in my trunk for emergencies.
- Formula: Even if you are breastfeeding, it is a good idea to carry a small packet of formula. I am an emergency prepper who likes to think of worst case scenario situations. I am not breastfeeding, so it’s a given that I’d have plenty of formula on hand…enough for 3 feedings at least.
- First Aid Kit: Boo boos, bumps, scrapes and everything in between. Once you are out of the comfort of your own home, anything can happen! I carry a first aid kit with a lighter, bandages, alcohol wipes and acetaminophen.
- Snacks: I try to carry snacks that don’t crush or crumble. Granola bars, fruit snacks, pretzels are usually my go to options. I even have a secret pocket in my diaper bag for lollipops. Those are to be used in emergency situations!
- Bottled Water: Just as I carry the spare formula, I carry bottled water. I never know if I am going to be in a bind and need water. To clean a cut, for my formula stash, to satisfy a thirsty 4 year old.
- Hand Sanitizer: Because toddlers are attracted to gross things. Have sanitizer or sanitizing wipes with you at all times!
- Diapers & Wipes: This might seem like another given, but you’d be surprised at the amount of times I’ve had to stop to buy wipes on the fly. I’ve even started keeping a small stash in each of our cars, as well as at my best friend’s house.
- Extra Clothing: It is bulky, but do it anyway. Pack an extra shirt for you, outfit for the baby and shorts and undies for the toddler. It’s not worth the risk of not having it…because anything can happen!
- Wristlet/Wallet: This was one of the first things that I learned when I became a mom. I needed something easy to store my money and ID that would easily be transportable between bags. I landed on a great wristlet that my phone fits inside and my keys clip to. I can easily move it from my purse for work to the diaper bag and know that I didn’t forget anything.
- Mommy Protection: If I’ve learned anything from mommy-hood, it’s that you can get your period at any given moment. You can also spring a leak up top, too. Having a stash of disposable nursing pads and Always Xtra Protection Liners can truly be a lifesaver.
Since having my two children I’m not really sure what happened to my body or my cycle. Maybe it’s the hormones or the recent child births, but my period seems to come whenever it wants. It’s especially bad after having my second baby 9 months ago. I slip a few panty liners in a side pocket and forget about them until I need them. I have been a loyal Always girl since high school since they make me feel as fresh as I do when I get out of the shower. Always Xtra Protection Liners are a given when it comes to stocking up my diaper bag with my on-the-go everyday essentials. Always Liners can be purchased at any major retailer at a price of around $3.00-$7.00.
What mom essentials are inside your diaper bag?