Summer is the perfect time to hop in the car and take a family road trip. Looking at a map of the United States of America, it might seem impossible to pick the perfect road trip destination. You might be tempted to tape it to the wall and throw a dart at the map, letting fate decide. Before you do that, there are a ton of reasons why you should probably put your darts away and pack your bags for a trip to Alabama! They don’t call it “Sweet Home Alabama” for nothing. Check out these top five reasons to visit Alabama during your next road trip.
Top 5 Reasons To Visit Alabama
- Beautiful Beaches: Alabama’s Gulf Shores are lined with beautiful white, powder sand. Visitors can enjoy deep sea fishing, sport fishing, boating excursions and countless other beach related activities. The beaches have returned to their pre-oil spill beauty and are far less crowded than the beaches that you will find in Florida!
- Historical Sites: When you visit Alabama, you’ll be able to explore some of the most historic battle sites from the Civil War. You can also take a drive over the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, AL, which is the site of conflict during our nations civil rights movement and has since been named a National Historic Landmark.
- Parks: Alabama is full of incredible parks, ranging from the US Space & Rocket Center to the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park, and everything in between.
- Football: Alabama is nationally known for their college football programs, especially their home state rivals Auburn University vs. The University of Alabama. These games are attended by hundreds of thousands of fans and are a true experience, not to be missed! Roll Tide. Need I say more?
- Southern Cooking: My husband was raised in a family with Alabama roots. The boy can cook! There is something glorious about true home style southern cooking. The collard greens, fried chicken and waffles, smoked ribs and other barbecue goodies should all be enough to send you packing straight to Alabama!
While there are just five of the incredible reasons to visit Alabama, I am sure that you will come across many other reasons why it is a fabulous place to visit during your travels. Alabama is a laid back state full of southern hospitality, southern charm and delicious BBQ! If you need some help planning your road trip to Alabama, try using this great app for your smartphone.
Where will you visit during your road trip to Alabama?
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Alabama Tourism. The opinions and text are all mine.