Aardman Animations have been around for forty years, which is enough to make me feel old. The Wallace & Gromit features were always big favorites around our house back in the day, and Chicken Run followed close behind. Shaun was a big star of one of the earlier featurettes, where our heroes save him from a particularly close shave. His tendency to eat his hosts out of house and home was often a source of comedic material. The writing is smart enough to keep adults who are paying attention engaged, and the animation is an artistic achievement worth marveling at. The subtle emotions and information conveyed through facial expressions alone is remarkable.
Aardman features have an air of British decorum about them. The characters and their antics are rooted in solid sensibilities, and common activities are mined for humorous content. Attention to detail and meticulous craftsmanship are evident in every frame. I have enjoyed all of the Aardman productions, and this one is no exception. I recommend it wholeheartedly. The Blu-ray combo pack is full of extra features and bonus content. Shaun the Sheep Movie is available on Digital HD November 10 and Blu-ray Combo Pack (plus Digital HD) and DVD (plus Digital) on November 24.
- Rating: PG for Rude Humor
- Genre: Family, Comedy, Action/Adventure
- Subtitles: English SDH and Spanish
- Feature Run Time: 85 minutes
- Blu-ray Format: 1080P High Definition, 16×9 Widescreen (1.78:1)
- DVD Format: 16×9 Widescreen (1.78:1)
- Special Features
- “Making the Shaun Movie” Featurette
- “Meet the Characters” Featurette
- “Join Shaun Behind the Scenes” Featurette
- “Meet the Crew” Featurette
- Parody Poster Gallery