This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of American Well. We have all been at the point where we were not sure if an illness or injury warranted a doctor visit. It can be especially difficult to judge if it involves one of our kids. What may be an acceptable fever to an adult, may be serious for a child. If you fall and twist your ankle, how do you know if it is something you need to just rest and ice or if it needs an X-ray? Sometimes what we think may not be a big deal, may be putting us at risk. It is better to know the difference and here are just a few tips to help with the decision:
6 Signs It Is Time To See A Doctor
- It Only Hurt A Little: If you have hurt your head and are having blurred vision, loss of memory, have loss of balance, or a severe headache, you should see a doctor. A head injury is nothing to guess about and it is always better to err on the side of caution.
- It Is Just A Headache: We all get headaches, but if this is one that feels like the worst pain ever, it could be a migraine. If you have a stiff neck, fever or back pain with that headache, this could be a sign of something more serious.
- It Is Just A Little Blood: Unless you are a woman with “her time of the month”, blood should stay in your body. If you have blood when you cough, vomit, pee, poop or other related issues, get thee to a doctor!
- It Is Just A Tummy Ache: We all get a stomach ache or flu from time to time. But how do you know if it is something more serious? If you have loss of appetite, nausea, or vomiting that will not stop, fever or the pain will not go away, it could be signs of something more serious.
- It Is Just A Bruise: If you have hurt yourself, especially in a fall, a bruise can be deceptive. If you also have intense pain that will not go away, swelling, it is hard to move the extremity you injured or the bruise continues to spread, this could be serious. Also, if you have any injury which involves a cut which will not stop bleeding, if you see muscle or bone or you have lost the feeling in an extremity, go to the doctor ASAP.
- It Is Just Indigestion: Did you know the signs of indigestion are similar to those of more serious issues? If that indigestion accompanies squeezing chest pressure, pain radiating to the left arm or jaw, sweating, and nausea, it could be a heart attack.
You can see from the above list, it can be confusing to know when you should or should not see a doctor. I think people hesitate to seek medical attention if they do not have a doctor, do not want to sit in a waiting room forever or they are worried they are “not sick enough”. With American Well, you can see a qualified doctor online from the privacy of your own home or on your Apple or Android enabled device. Signing up is free and takes just a few minutes and then you have access to a list of doctors in your area to choose from.
To making finding a doctor easier, you get a variety to choose from, can see what others thought about them and learn about their background. Once you make your choice, you can see your doctor over a high quality video on your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. What I love is I do not need to head out the door in order to get a qualified medical opinion about my health issues. Because American Well is available 24/7 and 365 days a year, there is always a doctor available to help you. You also can feel safe knowing your information is kept private and secure and will not be shared with anyone without your permission.
Because you are actually talking with a doctor via a video stream, you can ask questions, voice concerns and even show them where it hurts! You are also able to get prescriptions sent to the pharmacy of your choice within just minutes of your American Well visit! If you do have a doctor but were not able to get an appointment, you can have the notes from your session sent to your doctor. At just $49 per visit, the American Well service is affordable to virtually everyone and if often less than your co-pay. Many heath insurance companies are beginning to cover tele-health visits, so be sure to ask if your visit may be covered! Because spring is the time we get allergy issues and illness, American Well would like to offer you a coupon for one free American Well visit. Just use the code “SPRING” to redeem, which is good for up to one year if you enroll by 4/30. Be sure to stay current with them on Twitter, YouTube and Google+. This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of American Well.
What keeps you from seeking medical advice? The cost, the wait, not sure if you should? I would love to know!