Any form of physical activity is beneficial to your health and well-being. Even if you do not have the time for a scheduled workout on a regular basis, a few minutes each day spared to do a group of exercises to keep your body moving will do wonders. If you can get a full body workout even if you only have 10 to 15 minutes to spare, that’s even greater.
A variety of easy exercise combinations that target the core and muscle groups are recommended. Some can be a combination of simple yoga moves, while there are HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) exercises for the more serious ones. You can do the full body workout with or without equipment at home, in the office or outdoors.
Why This Works – Harnessing the Power of HIIT
HIIT (high intensity interval training) allows you to get a lot of benefit from just 20 minutes to 60 of high intensity work. The fundamental reason for its increased benefit lies in the fact that the increased, steady heartrate caused by all-out, 100% percent effort intervals, allows you to burn more fat while shocking the body with intense, unfamiliar stimulus that forces adaptation. You don’t have to spend three hours at the gym to get fit – you just have to do it right.
Based on your fitness level and physical capability, here are some good exercise combination ideas that you can do within 15 minutes or more if you desire.
For those who are more physically capable, this is a good aerobic exercise and muscle group combo. This group should be completed three times.
- Jumping jacks – 50
- Body weight squats – 15
- Push-ups or knee push-ups – 15
- Reverse lunges per side – 15
- Dips – 15 (you can use a bench, chair or a surface that’s elevated)
If you are into yoga, you can do this sun salutation combo to give you an energy boost.
- Surya Namaskara A – 5
- Surya Namaskara B – 5
This exercise routine, which you can do in 15 minutes or less, is better done when you’re outdoors, whether you’re in your yard, park or nature trail.
- 2 minutes – Brisk walking and swinging your arms largely
- 1 minute – Stretches (with a bench or a spot with enough room to stretch your back, arms and legs
- 2 minutes – 20 jumping jacks + jogging for 20 seconds (bring your knees as high as you can when jogging). Repeat this sequence three times.
- 1 minute – 15 push-ups, full or modified)
- 1 minute – triceps dips using a bench or step, as many as you can
- 1 minute – lunge forward with one foot, hold for a few seconds and return to starting position, then do lunge with the other foot. Do 10 lunges.
- 1 minute – run in place, do mountain climbers (push-up position, bring right and left knee toward chest alternately) then run in place again. Do each activity for 20 seconds.
- 1 minute – do squats 15 times; run in place for 20 seconds
- 1 minute – 20 lunges (alternating legs)
- 1 minute – end the routine with 20 crunches
- Do lunges, alternating each foot for 25 seconds. Hold a dumbbell in the opposite hand from your starting foot (e.g., left foot, right hand). The hand holding the dumbbell should be shoulder height. When you stand, extend the hand holding the dumbbell and press it overhead.
- Grasp the edge of a steady chair with both hands and while bending your elbows lower your body until your upper arms are almost parallel to the floor. Press up with your hands and extend a leg forward. Alternate the leg kick with each repetition.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your heels on the seat of a chair. Put your hands behind your head while you engage your core. Squeeze your glutes and lift your hips. Lower your hips to the floor and lift your shoulders to do 1 crunch. Repeat the sequence as many as you can for 50 seconds.
- Lie on your back with your hands behind the head. Keep your knees bent and over your hips. While in this position, lift your shoulders from the floor and extend both legs at a 45-degree angle. Go back to your starting position slowly. Do as many repetitions as you can within 50 seconds.
Choose any from these combinations so that you can keep fit and healthy by engaging in a regulated physical activity even for 10 to 15 minutes only each day or at least three times a week.