Do you have a love for cooking? If so, where did you get your passion from? My mom cooked virtually every meal from scratch and my sister and I would help every chance we got. By the time we were 8 or 10, we were making simple dishes like scrambled eggs and grilled cheese sandwiches. My kids are the same as my sister and I were and love to help me in the kitchen. With the summer here, the kids and I love being outdoors more than we like being in the kitchen! There is way too much to do out in the sunshine and fresh air to be cooped up inside in a hot and stuffy kitchen. For times like these, we usually gill out.
For any side dishes we make for our grilled foods, we love to make them as simple as possible. One of our favorite meals are hot dogs on the grill with my Spicy Corn And Bean Salsa. I love this recipe because it is super easy and has so much flavor. I love the mix of fresh and canned ingredients to give it a great variety. When you are looking for a good way to get yourself out of the kitchen, use more canned goods! Every good pantry should be stocked fulled of canned basics like beans, vegetables and fruits. Using canned goods cuts your time in the kitchen without sacrificing any flavor or nutrition. Another reason I love to use canned goods is because the kids can use them without my help. My son actually loves to eat canned carrots for a snack and my daughter loves canned peas. They can eat those 24/7 if I would let them! So when you want to get out of the kitchen and enjoy the gorgeous outdoors, start opening those cans!
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white corn, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bunch finely chopped cilantro
- 5 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
- Stir the yellow and white corn, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, green onion, red onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a large bowl. Gently mix in the lime juice and avocado. Drizzle with olive oil to serve.
You can find inspiration to create your canned food recipes from CansGetYouCooking.com. They also have a plethora of recipes on their social media channels at Facebook, Twitter,Pinterest and Tumblr.
What is your favorite summer dish using canned goods?