Summer Sun Safety Tips
Do you know what the most important message we give to our kids in Florida in the Summer? Use sunscreen! Before we even head to the beach, backyard or outdoor play date, the first thing we do is lather up and cover up. Protecting your skin from the sun keeps your skin from suffering the ill effects of the sun and wrinkles. I know I do not need any more of those. You can also get skin cancer, spots and sunburn. Three things I would rather not experience myself and for sure do not want to see my child have. We need band-aids for imaginary bumps and bangs. Can you imagine the drama of a full-blown sunburn? Here are 4 summer sun safety tips my family always uses.
- Play in the shade
- Wear sunglasses and hats
- Avoid the peak hours
- Use Sunscreen
Fun Summertime Sunscreen Facts
- Up to 80 per cent of the sun’s rays can penetrate clouds, mist and fog, so even if you can’t see the sun, it can still see you! so this means even when it is cloudy, you need to wear sunscreen!
- The SPF in sunscreen means how much longer you can stay in the sun without burning, than what you can without it. So if you burn in 15 minutes normally, you can stay in the sun 30 times longer if you wear SPF 30. That would give you 450 minutes in the sun.
- Peak Sun hours are between 10 and 2 pm. This means make sure that you not only use sunscreen, but opt for shade or cover as well.
- Even though it is not as hot all year round, long-term effects of the sun can affect you all year round because the rays are just as strong.
- Those who have darker skin can still develop skin cancer and should use sunscreen as well. Even though you do not burn, skin damage can still occur.
- Banana Boat sunscreens protect you from a broad spectrum of UV rays, both UVB & UVA.
- The energy in the sun actually breaks down the sunscreen and the sunscreen loses the ability to absorbs the UV rays. Photostable sunscreens resist the degradation so your skin stays protected.
- You should apply sunscreen 15 minutes before going into the sun using 30mL of sunscreen per application.
101 Days of Summer Play Party
I was going to have a back yard play date, but my friend Matt said he would not come over to help me clean up, so we opted for a beach day instead. Isn’t it nice to be able to drag 7 of your closest friends and kids to the beach at the last minute? Well I did bribe them with sand toys, Frisbees, and gift bags from Banana Boat. We all applied our Banana Boat® Sunscreen Natural Reflect Lotion at my house and caravaned to the beach. We were able to download the 101 Days of Summer Play Activity Guide from the Facebook page and you cant too! There are a ton of suggestions, but our favorite one was kite flying.
And we also played in the sand and made castles and applied sunscreen. It was pretty funny because if one mom would have had the job of applying sunscreen to all the kids, she would have had a full time job. We were all more conscious about keeping ourselves and our kids sufficiently coated. Grace is pretty fair, so her mommy followed the sunscreen tips and kept her in that cute hat the whole time! Isn’t she stinking cute?
Banana Boat® Sunscreen Natural Reflect Lotion
At the end of our beach day, we were all pretty impressed with the lack of burns. We came to the beach around 10 and most of us did not leave until 4 pm. That is a full day in the Florida sun! I am pretty impressed with the Banana Boat® Sunscreen Natural Reflect Lotion, and was pleased to see that it worked well and lasted long. We each had a tube included in our gift bags. It is pretty important to me that my sunscreen has the broad spectrum protection of both the UVA and UVB rays now that I know what that is. It is gentle on sensitive skin and water resistant. Perfect for a beach day of digging holes in the sand. Our kids are precious! Aren’t yours? Protect them from the sun. They will thank you for it when they are my age.
Before parting, my guests vowed to take the 101 Days of Summer Play pledge on the Banana Boat® brand Facebook page where parents make a commitment to enable and encourage their children to play outside in the sun every day, all season long. Each pledge will trigger a donation of one bottle of Banana Boat® Natural Reflect, up to 10,000 bottles, to the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, a nonprofit, residential summer camp and year-round center serving children coping with cancer and other serious illnesses to help keep its children and instructors protected from the sun this summer. You should take the pledge and encourage your family and friends to do the same!
Want to win a Banana Boat Prize Package? Leave a blog comment saying what your fav sun activity is.
Like Banana Boat & Makobi Scribe for extra entries.
I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Banana Boat® Sun Care and received a party kit to facilitate my review, party kits to give to my guests, and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.Do not forget to enter the rest of the current Sweepstakes