When I was growing up, we had a pretty big backyard with a huge area to grow plants in. We would grow strawberries, peppers, tomatoes and herbs. When it was too cold in Ohio to tend a garden, we would move inside and grow simple items inside the house. Mom always had live plants all over the place and I have a love for them to this day. If you are like me and have a bit of a brown thumb, here are some pointers for you!
Tips For Growing Plants Indoors
- Warmth: Most houseplants do best when the temperature inside is warmer during the day and cooler by a few degrees at night.
- Light: Virtually all plants need light. The key is to find how much and how strong the light should be. Check online or with a grower for the specifics for your particular plants.
- Water: Plants need to have moist but not soggy soil and they need less water in the winter.
- Humidity: Plants usually flourish in humid climates and even indoors they can get what they need. When it is warmer outside, the indoors is usually humid enough. During the colder months, you may need to have a humidifier in the room.
- Food: Plants need food just like we do and they can do poorly if fed too much, just like us. It is better to feed a plant too little than too much and they should never be fed when dry.
- Indoor Gardens: If you just do not have the knack for growing plants indoors, you may want to consider an indoor garden instead. One of the best on the market would be the AeroGarden by MiracleGro.
Growing Plants Indoors Is Easy with The Aerogarden
I got my love of plants from my mom but not her green thumb. I cannot grow a weed without killing it, which I guess is a good thing! I have tried growing a garden outdoors and all we got were some feeble sprouts that never grew into anything we could use. I bought the kids a little indoor garden kit and even that was a disaster! Thank goodness growing plants indoors is easy with the AeroGarden from MiracleGro.
I received the Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Ultra which is a super simple digital indoor garden. You can choose to grow a variety of more than 70 pre-seeded lettuce, herbs, peppers, tomatoes and more. These are just like what you wold grow outside, so it is like having a mini-farm right in your home! You can cook with fresh herbs for a more flavorful meal and add home grown vegetables to soups, salads or on their own. I must admit, there is nothing like having a living garden right in your house for the entire family to enjoy. I will say the cats are ultra curious, so if you have pets, keep an eye on them, especially if they like leafy green things! The AeroGarden Ultra actually uses NASA proven technology which includes hydroponics which helps your plants grow much faster than in soil alone.
The AeroGarden Ultra has the MyGarden™ control panel which is the very first ever built in display screen. It helps you go through each step you need to follow to grow the best plants you possibly can. It even has a feature that reminds you when to prune and harvest so you get the most out of your garden. You do not mess with buying or using dirt, which is great since you are doing this all indoors. Because it is totally automated, you do ot need to guess when to water or feed your plants because the AeroGarden tells you! With the built in energy efficient grow lighting system, you do not need to worry over getting the proper amount of light for your garden.
The AeroGarden truly is so easy to use, the kids were great helpers and have had fun interacting with our little garden. It took just a few minutes to set up, comes with the Gourmet Herb seed kit, liquid plant food and a Quick Start Tending and Harvesting Guide. You can ourchase the Aerogarden for $250 from the AeroGarden website, Amazon, Costco and other fine stores. Be sure to stay current with the latest from and follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
One USA reader will win the AeroGarden Ultra ARV $250