Keeping Your Dog Hydrated
Regardless of the season, it is imperative you keep your pet hydrated. Many people think they only need to watch their pet’s water intake during the warm summer weather but it is just as important to do so in the winter. You may not know this, but dehydration can be a life threatening condition and if not treated, it can lead to death. Keeping your dog hydrated ins very important. Dehydration can also be a result of vomiting and diarrhea, so if your animal has been experiencing these symptoms, you need to treat the cause of these symptoms. In order to be sure you are properly hydrating your furry friend, you should know the signs of dehydration (the opposite of hydration). Equally important is to know a variety of ways to hydrate your dog.
Here is a list of signs of dehydration:
- Excessive drooling or panting
- Dry and sunken eyes
- Lethargy (lack of energy)
- Noticeable wrinkling of the skin
- Dry and sticky gums
Here is a list of ways to get your pet hydrated:
- Add water: in a 1:1 ratio, add water to their dry food. You can give the pet this food immediately or you can let it stand for 10 minutes and then offer your pet the soft and moist food.
- Larger bowl: Studies have shown that dogs are more likely to drink water from a large bowl.
- How much: A puppy needs to drink about ½ cup of water every 2-3 hours. An older dog should drink 1-2 ounces per pound.
- On the go: If you are taking your dog with you, be sure to have plenty of water with you. There is no worse time to find your pet needs water, you are at mile 2 of your walk and there is no water ANYWHERE. One company that is helping pet owners hydrate their animals on the go is Troff.
Portable Water Containers For Dogs
If you have a dog and you take them on walks or travel with you, you need portable water containers for dogs. The revolutionary Troff Pouch has taken the worry out of being without water for your dog. These portable and collapsible pouches are perfect for taking on the road with your dog. These BPA free and reusable pouches hold 17 ounces and once empty; they can be rolled or folded and fit easily into a purse or pocket. With the reusability of the pouch, you are saving the planet from throw away bottles many people use. The top twists off and the valve is leak-proof, so no matter where you store the pouch, you are not going to have a puddle in your purse or tote bag. If you are a dog owner, this is a clever, affordable and brilliant product for you and your pooch.
One reader will win two 3-pack Troff Pouches ($19.99 each)