I remember when I was pregnant with Aidan. I told myself that I was going to be the perfect parent who never let their kid use an iPad or eat hot dogs. Wow, it is amazing what 4 years can do to you! These days, I am happy if I can get him to sit down long enough to eat an entire peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Getting Aidan to sit down is a battle, but getting him to actually eat healthy foods is an entirely different struggle. My son is a grazer. He likes to snack throughout the day. Initially, I wasn’t a big fan of this idea and thought that his snacking ruined his appetite for his most important meals of the day. Over time, I began to accept his constant snacking and decided that it would be best if I packed all of his vitamins and minerals for the day into his snacks, becoming less reliant on a larger meal that he probably wouldn’t sit through.
Top 5 Snack Options for Kids and Moms
- Carrots: They are sweet enough to appeal to the pickiest of kids, yet pack in tons of great vitamins. They are loaded with folate and dietary fiber and are delicious with hummus or a little bit of ranch dressing.
- Pinwheels: All kids love pinwheels. Roll up some turkey and cheese or peanut butter and jelly for a protein packed snack on the go.
- Yogurt: While a great option, be sure to check ingredient labels for added sugars. Many yogurts are packed with sugars and artifical flavorings. Greek yogurt is usually a best choice.
- Cheese: This is a great protein packed option that will keep our busy kiddos full of energy until dinnertime.
- Fruits: Fortunately, fruits are sweet and usually easy to eat. They are typically packed with antioxidants and other great vitamins. Make fruit kabobs or freeze fruit into a delicious frozen fruit bar that your kids will love.
Try to find ways to make snack options fun for your kids and for yourself. One great way to get your children to eat fruit is by incorporating frozen fruit bars. My favorite is Fruttare®. Fruttare® frozen fruit bars are a delicious line of frozen fruit bars made with real fruit you and your kids can taste. Aidan loves the Fruttare® Strawberry frozen fruit bars, which are packed with real frozen California strawberries and delicious juice. When a snack is this good, it’s hard to get him to say no!
What are your favorite snack options for kids?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.