I was a late bloomer when it came to owning a computer (1998) and the same for a laptop (2010). I love the world that owning a laptop opened for me and love using mine. I must admit, I get a kick out of sticking it in my bag, taking the kids out for lunch and being able to work while they play. The prices have also dropped quite a bit, so owning more than one laptop is feasible for many families. The drawback is that is you damage a laptop, often times you are better to buy another than to have your repaired. This has happened to us twice in the last year and it pinched our budget for sure. The first time, we had a nasty virus that wiped out the hard drive and fixing it was going to be almost the same as buying another. The second time was because one of the kids was playing around and dropped it and broke the screen as well as the opening for the charger. After these disasters, we were given some great advice on how to keep our laptops for longer. Here is what we were told:
Top Five Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Laptop
- Settings:One of the first things you need to do if you want to extend the life of your laptop, is to change some of the factory settings. Many of the settings are for more than you need and will wear down the battery quickly. For instance, the brightness level on the screen can be dimmed a good bit and you can still see the screen fine.
- Battery:Believe it or not, the more you charge your laptop, the more harm you are going to do to it. Once your batter is fully charged, unplug it and let it run down before plugging it in again.
- Backing Up: The more programs you run, the more memory you use and the more files you have, the more space. The best thing you can do is find a reliable program to put your files in so it will take the pressure off your hard drive.
- Storage:Where do you keep your laptop when it is not in use? If you aren’t using your laptop, close the lid and put it in a place where it can’t be dropped or stepped on. Also, be sure to keep it away from extreme temperatures as they are harmful to your computer.
- Heat:If you use your laptop a lot, you have probably felt how hot it can get. If you don’t get it some breathing space, you can overheat your computer, which can be big bucks to repair it. Experts recommend you find a good laptop stand that will lift the computer off of your working surface and get air under it. One company that has become and industry leader in accessories like laptop stands, is Rain Design Inc. This company has made a name for themselves because they have such high quality and affordable products for their customers.
I am really bad about putting my computer on my lap and within 30 minutes, that sucker is pretty heated up. I will put a pillow on my lap but that doesn’t help as much as I thought it would. I bought a mat while I was at the school bookstore because one of the students said he liked his. Well, I am not sure why he liked it so much, but it did not put the wind in my sails. Thankfully, I was sent an awesome lap top stand from Rain Design Inc. and I love it! The iLap is a very cleverly designed laptop stand that looks as great as it works. The iLap has an aluminum stand with velvet cushioning and a swivel base that will hold laptops from 12″ to 17″ . This product is really comfortable and it actually helps with my carpel tunnel, which was a much appreciated bonus. Rain, based in San Francisco, got its start in 2003 with their award winning iGo desk for the iMac. Rain was founded by a group of friends who all shared a similar vision. The group wanted to create very cool and cutting edge products for their equally cool customers. All I can say is if the iLap is any indication of how great the other Rain products are, no wonder the company is so popular! You can buy the iLap at Rain Design online for $59.90 along with their other fine products.