It is important that we all learn what the top supplies you need in case of an emergency. It is easy to think it won’t happen to you until it does happen to you. A few years ago we had a tornado hit our neighborhood and we were absolutely not prepared. Thankfully Henry had just gone through a drill at school and he reminded us to take pillows and head for the hallway. I have never been through anything as scary as that tornado and I hope to never do it again. What I do know is that I will be prepared in the event we find ourselves in an emergency situation again. Here is a list of the top tools you need for your emergency preparedness.
Top Supplies You Need In Case Of An Emergency
- Make A Plan: The most important thing you can do with your family is to make a plan that everyone understands and can follow. If you have a basement, you can store your supplies and make that your meeting place. If you don’t have a basement, a hallway will be your best bet.
- Water And Filters: One of the top items you will want is water. With most disasters, much of the water supply will be affected and therefore you will need a good filter in order to drink it.
- Food: You will need a supply of non-perishable food, which would include canned goods, dried or dehydrated meats and fruit, and powdered foods. Choose items that do not need to be cooked and is a good source of protein.
- Light: You will need light and it is a good idea to have multiple lights of various sizes. The best choice for larger lights is those that can be hand cranked. For smaller flashlights, make sure you have plenty of fresh batteries.
- Multi-Tool: A multi-tool is a must have in any emergency situation. Like a Swiss Knife, a multi-tool will include a screwdriver, scissors, a small saw, pliers, hole punch and a file.
- Communication: It is of the utmost importance to have a way to communicate with the outside world. This is especially true if you are closed off with no neighbors close by or are trapped somewhere. You can’t count on your cell phone having service, so you need to choose an alternative. Spare One is a company who has developed a phone that can be used in or out of an emergency. This phone will change the way we are able to stay in touch in the event of a disaster. To keep up with the latest news with Spare One, you can like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter.
Communication In An Emergency Situation
When we went through the tornado, we should have had communication in an emergency situation. Our cells were not able to locate a tower and most of our neighbors were in the same boat. My best friend who lives just 6 miles from us was completely untouched. Had we been able to contact her, she could have come to help. With the Spare One phone, they are using the GSM cell phone standard which allows you to use it on most cell networks world-wide. By using a common AA battery, you don’t need to worry about a charger and this phone can hold a charge for up to 10 hours on this one set of batteries and if unused, can last for up to 15 years. If you find yourself with a broken down car, an accident at the park or perhaps a sprained ankle on the walking track, the Spare One phone is crucial to finding help. For my family, we love the fact that we have the Spare One in case of an emergency, but we have another reason we are grateful to have it. With an autistic child at home, we felt it was very important to have a phone at home that the kids could use. We don’t ever leave the kids alone, but we as parents know how easily something can happen when we have turned our backs for just a few minutes. With a simple SIM card with prepaid minutes, you can call locally wherever you are in the world. The buttons are easy to see and the kids have no problem using them. You can call 911 or a neighbor or mom or dad with the Spare One phone. The red and white color makes it easy to find and with the 10 hours of use, we aren’t worried about the phone going dead. The Spare One ($99.00) phone comes in a waterproof bag, has a torchlight that can give you up to 24 hours of light, can call 911 with or without a SIM card and the auto text reply tells anyone who sends a text to the phone that you cannot text back and they should call instead. I am so glad to have the Spare One at home giving my family the peace of mind that we can stay connected no matter the situation.