With the summer months upon us, we need to think about safety. Many people would not think they needed safety tips in the summer but we do. When the weather gets hot, many people do not know how to safely cool down and therefore can get very sick. Heat stroke is most common in the very young and the very old. That is not to say that those of us who are in between are free from potential harm. We all need to be aware of how to stay cool when the temperatures rise to keep us all out of the hospital! Here are some great tips on how to keep yourself cool when the weather is hot:
- Use The Fridge: The fridge is your friend when it is hot outside! Keep a spray bottle in the door of the fridge so you can give yourself some cooling spritzes if you are coming in from being outside. Also, keep your lotions you use on a daily basis in the fridge as well.
- Keep Hydrated: The big mistake many people make in the summer is drinking the wrong thing. You should not drink sodas, kool aid or other sugary drinks. You should stick with water or sports drinks which have electrolytes in them. Anything with caffeine in it can actually makes you more dehydrated.
- Eating: It seems like a no brainer, but when you eat heavier foods you feel heavy yourself and often hot. Try sticking with salads, sandwiches, smoothies and other similar foods and drinks.
- Stay Inside: Use common sense! If it is 100 degrees outside, stay indoors where it is cooler. If you have no air conditioning, go to the library or another public place that does have air.
- Clothing: Wear loose clothing and if possible, wear cotton. Cotton is breathable and is therefore cooler to wear when it is hot. Another great addition to your clothing in the summer are cooling packs. One of the best products on the market for this purpose is from coldfront.
How To Keep Yourself Cool
There are so many reasons we get all hot and bothered (not in a good way) and we often are not sure how to effectively cool down. I have spoken about being outside when it is hot, but there is a long list of other influences that can get you overheated. When you are exercising, if you are menopausal or have a medical issue like a thyroid condition can all make your body temperature rise. If you have ever had a muscle ache or an injury, you know how much better you feel when you put something cold on it. If you are looking for ways on how to keep yourself cool, coldfront will help keep yourself cool for up to 12 hours.
I was sent coldfront and it was great timing! I recently injured my foot and shoulder and ice is part of my physical therapy. Unlike most other products on the market, coldfront can keep you cooled off for a half a day without the need to be re-frozen. I also love that you have separate pieces so you can arrange them to make you the most comfortable. For me, I can put one pack behind my shoulder and one pack in front and one on my ankle. Another use I have found that is wonderful is when the kids and I are out at the park walking, I can put one behind my neck to keep me cool and I can give one to each of the kids. With the convenient carrying case, I can put the packs in and zip them up instead of throwing them in a plastic bag. If you need cooling packs for any reason, these are absolutely fantastic for you! You can purchase coldfront from their website for $79.90.
One USA reader will win one My Cold Front ($79.90)