Many of us have dealt with the occasional breakout on our face, back, or shoulders. While this is a source of irritation for some, it can be devastating to others. For the millions of people who suffer from adult acne, this issue can be difficult to treat. Adult acne can range from a few breakouts a month to a more serious ongoing medical problem. Although we may not be able to avoid getting those breakouts, we can be proactive in treating acne in adults. You can do things at home to lower the rate at which the breakouts can occur.
5 Tips For Treating Adult Acne
- Keep Your Hands Off Your Face: As tempting as it is, do not pick at or pop your pimples. This can spread the bacteria, dirt and oils and can cause scarring.
- Minimize Your Makeup: When you have a breakout, avoid using foundation or use it sparingly. This can irritate your skin, clog pores and delay healing. Try to find oil free makeup or makeup marked as noncomedogenic, which means it should not cause acne.
- Avoid The Sun: Those UV rays from the sun can not only cause skin damage and possible skin cancer, but can also irritate your already inflammed skin. If you do go out in the sun, wear a hat or wear an SPF lotion which is oil free.
- Keep Your Face Clean: A clean skin surface is essential if you have acne or not. It is recommended you cleanse your face twice a day to rid it of impurities, dead skin and excess oil. You should use a face cleanser which is designed to be gentle yet effective for your skin. I use the medicated Dr. Lin Skincare Acne Cleansing Wipes.
- Moisturize Your Skin: Keeping your skin hydrated is important when dealing with acne. When you have acne, it can dry our your skin and excess dryness can cause skin peeling. To keep my skin moisturized without adding oils or toxins, I use the Dr. Lin Skincare Daily Hydrating Gel.
I do not have excessive acne, but I do have breakouts from time to time. It can be difficult to find products you can use on your skin which will not make them oily or dry them out. With the skin care line from Dr. Michael Lin, you get clinically proven products to treat your acne and to keep it at bay. His products were developed to help prevent future breakouts, fade the appearance of red and dark marks, is paraben and Hydroquinone-Free and works on any skin type. The line was created by Dr. Lin, who is not only one of America’s leading board certified dermatologists, but someone who has struggled with acne himself.
When I clean my face, I like the convenience of the Acne Cleansing Wipes. The package of 35 towelettes sells for $9 on the Dr. Lin website as well as CVS, Bed, Bath and Beyond and other fine retailers. The wipes purify your clogged pores while the medicated formula control breakouts. It gets that deep down dirt and oil while it gently exfoliates your skin. Once my skin is clean, I keep it moisturized with the Daily Hydrating Gel, which also sells for $9. Not only does the gel keep your skin nice and hydrated, it also soothes that irritated skin and minimizes inflammation and redness. Dr. Lin also offers cleaning pads, spot corrector and his 2 step Acne Clarifying System. Be sure to stay current with Dr. Lin on Twitter and Google+.
How do you treat your adult breakouts or acne?