Being from Vermont, I believe that just about everything tastes better when you add real Vermont maple syrup. There is just no comparison. Treat your holiday guests to the delicious taste of Vermont Tapioca Pudding. This creamy tapioca pudding recipe has Vermont maple syrup added to it and then it is topped with walnuts that have been coated with more Vermont maple syrup. Dessert doesn’t get much better than this.
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp minute tapioca
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp pure Vermont maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- pinch of cinnamon
- Mix milk, egg, tapioca and salt in a small pan and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat over medium low heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add ¼ cup Vermont maple syrup & vanilla.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- While the pudding is chilling, line a cookie sheet with wax paper & spray with non stick spray.
- In a small pan, mix the walnuts, 1 tbsp Vermont maple syrup and cinnamon. Heat over medium low heat until most of the syrup is evaporated.
- Spread the nuts on the sprayed wax paper and place in the freezer for 15 minutes until cool.
- Crumble the walnuts over the top of the pudding & serve.
This tapioca pudding recipe can be made ahead and the nuts frozen until serving time. When you’re ready to serve dessert, just remove the nuts from the freezer and crumble them on top of the tapioca pudding. No one needs to know you prepared the dessert that morning to save time.
Ellen is a busy mom of two teenagers who left the corporate world in 2008 to focus on a more eco-friendly life. She lives in rural Vermont where she juggles family, two blogs and a career in social media. You can find her at Confessions of an Overworked Mom