I was raised on the ideology that I do not need, I want. There are a number of things that I want, but when it comes down to it, all I need are the bare necessities for me and my family in order to survive. Some people are not blessed with the bare necessities as we are. In fact, there are families across the country who will not participate in the upcoming holiday season, simply because they can not afford it. It is important for those of us who are fortunate to give back during the holiday season and help to spread holiday joy. This list of 10 ways to give back during the holiday season is simple enough, there is no reason why we shouldn’t be doing these things all year long!
10 Ways to Give Back During the Holiday Season
- Clean out your closet: If you haven’t worn it in a year, donate it. There is someone out there who will love it!
- Over tip: Servers are often over worked and underpaid during the holiday’s. Make your waiters night by over tipping.
- Leave a note: Leave a kind note on somebody’s windshield. One kind comment has the potential to turn a life around.
- Smile: Put your phone away and make eye contact with strangers. Smile. You might be surprised by what happens next.
- Collect blankets: Ask friends and family for spare blankets. Donate them to a homeless shelter or an animal shelter.
- Donate blood: Especially if you have a rare blood type. You may just save a life.
- Run errands: For an elderly friend, family member or acquaintance. Hopefully someone will do the same for us someday.
- Collect canned foods: Start a canned food drive at the office or at your child’s school. Donate them to the local shelter.
- Visit the children’s hospital: Hit up the dollar store for toys before hand. You will make many people happy.
- Host a wish tree: Set it up at the office and host a child who wouldn’t have had a Christmas otherwise.
It does not take much to give back during the holiday season, but it does take resources. The Chain of Betters project is an incredible vision that Western Union has. It’s an idea that empowers people with the opportunity to change the lives of others. As the money moves around the world, creating a chain of good deeds, together we can start to change lives in ways we wouldn’t have imagined was possible. This isn’t just saying money moves for better. This is proving it, together. You can learn more about the Chain of Betters project in this video below.
Western Union believes that when money moves, better things happen. A business expands. A family connects. A child goes to college. Emergency aid arrives the moment it’s needed. An economy prospers, an opportunity opens, a community heals. Moving money for better means moving money for a better world –creating value for individuals, businesses and for society. We do this together every day. The money sent by Western Union customers can help to stimulate economies and make individuals’ lives more rewarding and fulfilled. However you decide to fund your holiday and give back this holiday season, make sure that you are doing it in the support of the Chain of Betters project and using Western Union to make your money move.
How do you give back during the holiday season?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.