I consider myself a top notch gift giver. I put a lot of thought into each gift I buy and I usually have pretty happy recipients. Now mind you, this is usually for birthday and Christmas gifts. If it comes to gifts for weddings or anniversaries, my track record is not so good. I am not sure the reason, but I always get a gift buying mind block when it comes to these gifts. I think part of the reason for this is because I am not sure what you are supposed to give for each year of marriage. I had no idea there was such a list until my mom let me in on the secret on my first wedding anniversary. I have a friend who has been married 2 years and is having a party. I needed to get her a gift pronto and had no idea what to give her. So, when in doubt, go to the internet to dig up some ideas.
Top Wedding Anniversary Gifts For The First 5 Years
- Year One: The traditional gift the first year is paper while the modern choice is plastic or a clock. This is how I knew there were gifts for each year as I got a clock and my mom explained it to me! There is actually such a thing as an anniversary clock, so this is a good one to get. For paper, monogrammed stationary or thank you cards is a good choice. For plastic, how about a gift card? They are plastic, right?!
- Year Two: The traditional gift is cotton for the 2nd year and the modern choice is china. Since cotton is more affordable, choose something unique that your recipient can actually use. I found some very cool retro looking tea towels from Sunday Drive Designs that would make the perfect gift for year two!
- Year Three: For year number 3, the choices are leather or crystal. If you choose leather, maybe a leather magazine rack or picture frame. Another great choice is a nice crystal vase or something a little different, crystal decanter for the bar would be cool.
- Year Four: This year brings a plethora of gift ideas including fruit, flowers, linen, silk and appliances. Many homes lack proper table linens for entertaining, so this would probably be a hugely appreciated gift, especially with a monogram. If you want to do the appliances route, think unique like an indoor grill, juicer or a single cup coffee maker.
- Year Five: This year you can choose from wood or silverware. Wood is such a cool medium for unusual items for the home. A pair of handmade salad spoons with the couples last name engraved on them. Another neat idea is a wooden sculpture for the couple’s home.
So for my friend, since it is her 2 year wedding anniversary, I decided to go with the idea of cotton for the kitchen. This made the most sense for her because she is always cooking, trying new recipes and making her husband very happy . Of all the wedding anniversary gifts by yearI love cotton for its organic properties as well as there is something so pure about it. I enjoy giving gifts that I know the recipient will not see from anyone else. With the cool cotton tea towels from Sunday Drive Designs, I knew I had a winner on my hands. I love the classic stripes reminiscent of tea towels from decades past with updated whimsical designs. With such designs like the “Hipster Ketchup”, “Choice Cuts of Potato” and “Choice Cuts of Beef” you get humor with function which equals a great flipping gift! These are not those cheap flour sack towels you usually see, but rather a generously sized 100% cotton tea towel. And at just $15 per towel, you can afford to give them a handful! You can see the rest of the towels as well as gift tags, sachets and more at their Sunday Drive Designs Etsy store. You can also see the towels on Grommet, which is where I first found these jewels.
Currently, Sunday Drive Designs has a Kickstarter campaign you really need to take a look at! I do not often get behind these campaigns, but I have seen the products from Becky’s Etsy store in person and they are among the best made products I have ever seen. And did I mention they are hilarious to boot? For this campaign, Becky has some of the best Screen Printed Campy Aprons I have ever seen! They would be great for yourself or for that gift you need to give. If you decide to make a $5 donation to the campaign, Becky will give you her grandmother’s doughnut recipe! For $10, you get her jam recipe and for $25 you get an apron in your choice of design. For $50 you get the recipes and TWO aprons and for $75, Becky will send you the whole kit and kaboodle (3 aprons and the recipes.) Also, be sure to follow Sunday Drive Designs on Twitter and Pinterest. One USA reader will win 4 tea towels from Sunday Drive Designs ARV $60.
Which of the Wedding Anniversary Gifts By Year would you give?