It is hard to believe that my Caitlin, who is almost 15, will be going to her 8th grade prom soon. I love that she was asked by a very nice boy (his mom is a teacher at Caitlin’s school) but I am sad that my little girl is growing up so fast! As much as Caitlin wants to be grown up, her Dad and I keep a pretty tight reign on her. One of our rules is that she is not allowed to wear clothes that are revealing or tight and she has just been given the ok to wear a little bit of make-up. When shopping for a dress for the prom, we realized there were a lot of options, most importantly was choosing a prom dress for your body type. At this age, girls are not done growing and filling out, so what fits older girls, won’t work for younger girls. We decided to do some research before we locked in to one style dress. Here are the guidelines we found helpful:
Choosing A Prom Dress For Your Body Type
- Petite Frames: If you have a petite girl you are shopping for, a short dress works best for her. When a shorter girl tries to wear a long gown, it can swallow her up and make her proportions look wonky. Another style to take into consideration would be a strapless dress. If you feel your girl may be too young for the strapless style, you can get a nice wrap that will cover her shoulders while still showing the strapless dress.
- Curvy Figures: If you are shopping for a curvy figure, an empire waist dress will look great. If you prefer a more fitted look, find an hour glass dress to match your hour glass figure! If you got it flaunt it, right?
- Plus Size: If you are looking for a dress for someone who is in a plus size, a long and flowing dress is just perfect for this body type. If this is the dress you are going to choose, play up your hair, eyes or another feature you love about yourself to add some oomph to the dress style. Another dress style that is nice on a plus size gal is the Grecian style that shows off those great shoulders and arms! If this is your style, find a beautiful piece of wrapped metal jewelry to wear on the upper arm.
- Tall Women: If you have some height on the girl you are shopping for, the high-low style is just great. This is the dress that has the shorter front and a longer back, possibly with a bit of a train.
- Athletic Builds: If you have a tomboy who loves sports, an embellished or cutout dress works well to add the illusion of curves to an athletic frame. Another style that is great for this body type is a one shoulder look to show off those girl guns!
If you are looking for a company that has a huge inventory of timeless dresses for every special occasion, PromGirl.net is the place. PromGirl.net has been selling prom and special occasion dresses for almost 15 years and in that time has built a stellar reputation. PromGirl.net is based in NYC and are constantly looking for the latest trends in their field. The dresses from PromGirl.net are very affordable and PromGirl.net offers a Price Match Guarantee on all of their dresses. Buying a prom dress can put a dent in your budget and PromGirl.net understands that. To make buying the perfect dress easier, they have created a program that allows friends and family to purchase Prom Dollars that are applied to the cost of the dress. Each time someone buys Prom Dollars, PromGirl.net will send you an email, which tells you who bought them, how much they bought and the new balance. Don’t forget to encourage your prom girl to raid her piggy bank and buy some Prom Dollars for herself!