Creative Activities For Kids
As a parent, I am always on the lookout for creative activities for kids to do at home. My kids are 11 and 14 and they have gotten to the age where if a toy isn’t cool and interesting, they are not going to use it very often. I hate to find a toy or game I think would be fun and it turned out to be a big disappointment. I have found some great ideas for breaking the blahs with the kids. Here are a few ideas:
- Read a book! There is no better way to lose yourself than in a good book. My kids are avid readers and I am so glad for it. We were teasing Caitlin recently on a trip to the store and she wanted to take the book into the store with her. Funny thing is that I remember doing that very same thing when I was her age!!
- Have a scavenger hunt. My kids recently had a video scavenger hunt and it was a huge hit! Each of the kids videotaped 10 clues and then passed the camera over to the other one and they followed the clues until they reached the prize.
- Make some cookies! The kids are getting to the age where they can cook simple foods, including cookies. I will watch as they bake and when the cookies are cooled, they will decorate them and eat away!
- Make a picture story. The kids will take a handful of paper and staple it together. Then they will think of an adventure using pictures to tell the story. Then the kids switch books and try to guess what the story is. This is really fun and gets pretty silly!
Great Toys For Kids With Autism
One issue I have struggles with is finding great toys for kids with autism. Henry does have issues that make playing with certain toys impossible. At times, Henry cannot control his strength, so certain toys are off limits. This also comes into play when he tries to hug, which is always very strong and can hurt. It is heartbreaking to see his face when we have pushed him off us when his hugging gets to strong. The doctor said trying to explain this is like trying to describe a color to a blind person. A good example would be balloons. For some reason, Henry thinks they are for hugging and yet every time he hugs a balloon too hard, it pops, but he will continue to do that behavior over and over again. It is like living in the movie “Groundhog Day” over and over!! Bearing this in mind, I was so interested in the Thinking Putty ($13.95). We had tried Gak before but it stuck to everything (I have a purple stain on the kitchen ceiling) and we had to get rid of it. As I had hoped, Henry was able to use the Thinking Putty as a stress ball and we are working on him squeezing it when he feels anxious. So far, so god!! the 30 colors and availability in over 1,000 retail stores at a very affordable price, Thinking Putty is a great toy for the kids (and you too!!) There are so many cool aspects to the Thinking Putty that I could not be happier to have reviewed it. Here are some of the coolness factors of Thinking Putty:
- Non-stick: Believe it or not, when they say Non-stick, they actually mean it!! We even had an episode where the kids stepped on it and it peeled off of the carpet.
- Does not dry out: We are a family of forgetters and remembering to put the Thinking Putty back in the can isn’t always on our minds. Fear not, even overnight it did not dry out. Yay!!
- The three different Thinking Putty cans we received have a different hidden surprise. For instance; the Monster Mash is a cool purple color but if you go into a dark room, the Thinking Putty changes to a glowing orange. The Great Pumpkin, the opposite is true! The normally orange color glows a cool purple in the dark.
- Entertainment. Thinking Putty keeps the kids busy for hours!!
One winner will receive one container of Thinking Putty ($13.95)
i like the aura glow in the dark
i like the Monster Mash in the halloween section
The glo-in the dark
Super magnetic pulls me in that direction as a favorite.
I like the Illusions Thinking Putty
i like ion glow in the dark
I like the Super Illusions Super Lava.
MY fave product is the glow in the dark.
I would like to try the Illusions Thinking Putty!
I like the Hypercolor Thinking Putty.
Super Magnetic Thinking Putty is my favorite product, it looks so cool!! My daughter would LOVE this, she is into science right now, I definitely have to bookmark this for when I start Xmas shopping (late of course LOL)!
I like the Super Lava or the Primary Color in Red.
Super Illusions Thinking Putty-great colors!
Super Illusions Thinking Putty-great colors!
I like monster mash
Strange Attractor with Magnet
super putty illusions
I like the color shift putty.
Glow In The Dark 8 )
Kyle would love the In The Dark thinking putty.
I like the Krypton thinking putty
I like the electric blue
I like the Glow In The Dark putty
the super illusions putty looks like fun.
I like the Lava Illusions Thinking Putty! Cool product!
glow in the dark
I love the Super Illusions in Super Lava! Really neat!
my kids love playdough however it makes a mess and this stuff looks like alot of fun and its not messy
I like the Super Illusions putty
I like the putty.
Comments are closed.