It is National Homemade Soup Day and what perfect timing! Although the snow has stopped falling here in TN, it is still really cold and wet outside. I love to make homemade soup because it soothes your soul and on days like these, warms it as well! When I can find a recipe for soup that is pretty easy to make and is something yummy my family will love, I am all over it. I am a pretty busy mom with working, taking classes, taking care of kids, a husband, a house and 2 pets. When I can find anything to help lighten my load, I appreciate it so much.
- 1 Head of escarole lettuce
- 3 Cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 Red onion
- 1 Lemon
- 10 ounces of fresh gnocchi
- 2 ounces of Manchego cheese. (if unavailable, substitute Asiago)
- ½ tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- Prepare ingredients (chop Escarole, Peel and mince garlic. Peel and thinly slice onion, Cut lemon in to quarters, Cut the cheese in half; grate ½ and reserve the other for garnish).
- Caramelize the onions by cooking 5-7 minutes in med-high in olive oil.
- Add Escarole, garlic, and red pepper flakes to taste. Season with salt and pepper and cook 3-5 minutes or until the Escarole is softened. Remove from heat.
- Cook the gnocchi in boiling water and cook 4-5 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Reserve ½ cup of the hot pasta water.
- Add the gnocchi to the vegetables and toss. Add the butter, grated cheese, juice of half of the lemon and the reserved pasta water. Stir until creamy.
- Plate and add grated cheese for garnish.
With Blue Apron, you get a huge helping hand with cooking as well as your shopping. This is a unique food delivery company because they ship you all the fresh ingredients along with recipes and you get to cook it with your family. Since I had my shoulder surgery, I cannot drive and getting to the store is not always convenient. This was such a huge help to have all the fresh ingredients along with the recipes, delivered to my door. I received the 4 vegetarian meals box, which included this soup recipe.
They also offer meals for meat and chicken and they do not skimp on quality or quantity. They offer seasonal ingredients which are directly sourced from farms, importers and family-run businesses.You can have all of this for $9.99 per person, per meal and you cannot beat that for restaurant quality meals in your own home! Be sure to follow Blue Apron meals on Facebook and Twitter.
What is your favorite homemade soup recipe?