- 1½ pounds lean beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 pound whole white button mushrooms
- 3 carrots, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ¼ cup neufchatel cheese
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces whole wheat egg noodles
- Special equipment: pressure cooker
- Toss the beef with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions soften and begin to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the white wine, mustard and flour, bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add the beef broth, mushrooms, carrots and celery.
- Secure the pressure cooker lid and bring to high pressure over medium heat. Once at high pressure, cook for 18 minutes. Remove from the heat and, using the quick-release valve, carefully open. Stir in the neufchatel, parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and keep warm
Cooking With A Pressure Cooker
Cooking can be so much fun, but it is even more fun when you have the right tools to work with. There is plenty of cookware available to make life easier in the kitchen, but it does not get much better than cooking with a pressure cooker.
One of the best performing pressure cookers is the Fagor Splendid 5-Piece Pressure Cooker set. The Cooking Club of America has recommended it. It includes, the 8 qt and 4 qt Splendid pressure cooker pots, Splendid pressure cooker lid and tempered glass lids that are interchangeable, steamer basket with support trivet, user’s manual and recipe book.
The 4 and 88quart pots can be used as pressure cookers or as regular stock pots. Also, there is a visual pressure indicator and an automatic pressure release system.
Over the years the pressure cookers have gotten a bad rap for its dangers in being explosive, but modern day pressure cookers are much safer and provide a healthier way to cook food. Since food cooks so quickly and uses just a little bit of water with a pressure cooker, they are great at preserving nutrients in vegetables and meat. Studies have proven that the longer you cook food and the more liquid you use, the more nutrients you use.
Pressure-cooking is efficient since foods typically cook 70% faster. Since food cooks so much quicker, it means you use less energy. Less energy used equals a savings financially. For instance, you can cook beef stew in 15 minutes, a 5-pound chicken in less than 15 minutes. Pressure-cooking also means a whole lot less time spent in the kitchen and more time to spend with your family.
The company Fagor Electrodomesticos has been around since 1954 and is based in Spain. It is the fifth largest appliance manufacturer in Europe, the leading appliance manufacturer in both Spain and France, and the #1 induction cooktop producer in the European Market. In 2005 Fagor American, a subsidiary of Fagor Electrodomesticos, established its appliance division in the U.S. One reader will win a Fagor Splendid 5-Piece Pressure Cooker set valued at $129.99.