First of all, what is gingivitis? It’s a bacterial infection that starts with a buildup of plaque along the gum line. Then, the bacteria can get caught in the spaces between your gums and teeth. As the bacteria multiply, the resulting infection is gingivitis. Some studies state that more than half of all American adults have gum disease. Gingivitis is not serious and can be easily remedied fairly painlessly with an ordinary cleaning at the dentist’s office. If it goes unchecked, though, it can turn into periodontitis, a more serious condition that can lead to secondary illnesses and problems, from painful abscesses to tooth and bone loss. Hopefully, these tips can help to make sure your gum health is on track.
Protect Your Gums
- Be vigilant about your dental health routine. See your dentist regularly, brush after every meal, and floss at least once a day. GUM products by Sunstar are good tools to make routine dental care as easy and painless as possible. One of the problems many face is getting to hard to reach areas. Their flossers and interdental brushes can help make sure you don’t miss cleaning any important surfaces.
- Watch your weight. Eat plenty of healthy foods, that are low in added sugars. Obese individuals suffer more dental problems than their counterparts.
- Buy an electric toothbrush. This is a great investment that could end up paying for itself in lack of dental bills. A good electric toothbrush can be 10 times more effective at removing food particles and buildup.
- Use the right products. If your teeth are sensitive to temperature, make sure yours is designed to counteract those issues. Caution in testing is suggested, and you may find that you are already aware of your own temperature preferences.
- Don’t smoke. Smokers have a much greater risk of developing periodontal disease, and it lowers the chances of successful treatment. Just in case you needed another reason to quit.
Sunstar is launching a smart campaign called Your Gums Matter to educate people about the importance of taking great care of your teeth and gums. This is a great place to learn even more about your gum health and all the ways they are making it easier to care for your whole mouth. You can also sign up for great money saving offers, both online and in store. Happy flossing! Get a head start by entering the sweepstakes below for your chance to win the following prize: 1 Technique Deep Clean Toothbrush, 1 bag of Flossers, 1 package of Proxabrush Go-between cleaners in Tight, 1 package of Soft-Picks and eez-thru floss.
How religious are you about your oral care routine?