Welcome to week #2 of my #MushroomMakover 30-Day Challenge. I am taking part of this fantastic health, body and mind makeover, sponsored by Mamavation and The Mushroom Council (AD). I am completely excited about the changes I have already noticed in myself over the past 14 days. I feel better in all areas of my life, including my physical as well as my mental health. I have seen a loss of almost 2 pounds, I feel more energized than I have in months, I am sleeping better at night and my stress and anger levels are beginning to go down.
As part of the challenge, we are participating in an exercise routine, compliments of Mark Segedie. We are following an exercise regime which is a great mixture of cardio, strengthening and toning. I had forgotten how much better I feel after I have been exercising (once the soreness wears off lol!) My body hates me right now, but my mind and spirit are loving it! With the guidance and encouragement of Corinne Dobbas, I am treating my body more respectfully than I have in years. I have switched from drinking at least a liter of diet soda a day to almost 2 liters of water a day. I have found myself eating very little beef and more chicken, vegetables and whole grains.
For the meal portion of our challenge, we are asked to replace or switch out an ingredient(s) with mushrooms. I have always loved mushrooms, so this has been a fun food makeover for me. I have fallen in love with this fungi all over again. My husband is also in love with this challenge because he said he is eating better and getting to try more new meals than he has in a while!
This week I have had some really delicious meals, including:
Whole Wheat Pasta With Grilled Chicken and Veggies
Whole Wheat Vegetable Lo Mein
Sausage, Cheese and Mushrooms in a Whole Wheat Pita
Here is the recipe for the deliciously addictive Sausage And Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms. I dare you to eat just one!
- 1 package Mild Sausage (low fat if possible)
- 1 Package of large fresh mushrooms
- 2 Stalks of celery
- ¼ cup diced onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 (8 ounce) package of fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated low-fat cheese
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink and lightly browned; drain.
- Clean mushrooms, remove stems, dice and set aside. Arrange mushroom caps on foil-lined baking sheets.
- In a bowl, combine cooked sausage, bread crumbs, cream cheese, garlic, onions, mushroom stems and lemon juice. Stir until blended.
- Carefully spoon sausage mixture into mushroom caps. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400 F or until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, approximately 20 minutes.
What new dish can you make with mushrooms this week?