With the average American spending almost $2,000 on clothing and accessories, it is a wonder we are not all broke. If you have a teenager in your home, that number is probably higher. My son grows out of everything I buy within a few months and my daughter just gets tired of it pretty quickly. On the strict budget my family is on, we cannot afford to spend that much on our wardrobes. Instead, we just get a little creative and save money wherever we can. If this sounds familiar, you may enjoy these tips to help loosen the financial belt on your clothing allowance.
5 Ideas To Save Money On Your Wardrobe
- Sell What You Do Not Wear: Let’s face it, we all have that handful of items in our closet that still have the tags and we are not going to wear them. Why not sell them and buy something you actually WILL wear?!
- Shop Thrift Stores: Everyone has that area of town that is known for its wealthy residents. Find the thrift store nearby and go shopping. You are more likely to find designer labels and name brands there than at any other thrift store.
- Host A Clothing Swap: I bet a lot of your friends are in the same boat as you are when it comes to clothing. Why not get together and swap out with each other. Remember..one woman’s trash is another woman’s treasure!
- Use Coupons: Just like saving at the grocery store, clothing coupons can cut your clothing bill. Try to find stores who accept coupons on their clearance for additional savings.
- Make Your Own: If you are handy with a sewing machine or a needle and thread, make your own clothing. For your accessories, find a cute jewelry making kit and make your own jewelry.
My daughter and I are complete jewelry hoarders! We have jewelry spilling out of storage boxes and bins, hanging on the wall and tucked into our shoe dividers! We realized how much money we were spending on jewelry and knew we had to curtail that pronto. In order to have cool custom made jewelry at an affordable price, we decided to make our own. With the eco friendly arts and crafts kits from Artterro, we found we could have incredible accessories at a very affordable price. The concept came from Forrest Espinoza and Jennifer Conn, two artists and mothers from Madison, WI. They were tired of trying to find eco friendly art projects that were high quality and had truly beautiful materials. When they exhausted their efforts, they just decided to create their own kits and Artterro was born.
We were sent the Wool Felt Jewelry and the Wire and Bead Art Kit from Artterro and boy are they cool! Each has a nice sized array of natural materials along with creative project ideas for ages 8 and above. And to make Artterro even better, they offer two bonus projects in every kit! The Wool Felt kit has a ton of colorful wool felt to make a fashionable bracelet, necklaces, pin, barrette and 2 pairs of earrings. We decided to make a pair of earrings to give to a friend for her birthday. The Wire and Bead Art Kit allows you to make fun jewelry, a cool mobile, something to hang on your wall or even a tiara! Caitlin decided to make a cool wire necklace and earrings to wear to school. Both kits, which sell for $22, are well worth the cost and will give you hours of fun and enjoyment! Artterro also offers kits for making bubble wands, bookmaking, art dolls and art journals, with prices ranging from $13 to $29. One USA reader will win one Wire and Bead Art Kit and one Wool Felt Jewelry kit.
How do you save money on clothes and accessories?