Well, I have a three year old now. You hear all about the “terrible two’s” and the tantrums that accompany, but you never hear anything about three year old’s. Now that I have one, I know why. This is easily a period in Aidan’s life that I am happy to block out! Two years was a breeze, three is a challenge! Saying that I would like to block it out is a bit extreme, I would never want to miss a moment. I do find myself scrambling for age friendly activities for him to participate in, especially since he is now Mr. Independent! Since we have a new baby girl on the way, it only seems appropriate to get him into the habit of helping me with chores around the house.
Because Chris was a sous chef in his former life, he feels that a man should know his way around the kitchen. Since scrubbing and vacuuming aren’t quite chores that Aidan is ready for, I usually recruit him to be an extra little body in the kitchen. My little man just loves to be mommy’s little chef! Most of the meals that we create together are simple and easy, with ingredients he can help with. Many times I employ the crock pot, since Aidan can dump all of the ingredients in and feel accomplished. “Aidan did it!” is the usual reaction he gives. I’ll never get tired of that little excited voice! Most recently, we made a yummy and kid friendly Cheesy Crockpot Fiesta Chicken and Rice recipe, using Uncle Ben’s Brown Rice.
The Ben’s Beginners™ Cooking Contest
Uncle Ben’s Beginners Program is a great program for kids, focusing on the importance of cooking with your kids and teaching better eating habits. Do you think that you have a winning recipe? Then you need to enter The Ben’s Beginners™ Cooking Contest! Entering is easy, just submit a short video of you and your little chef featuring a rice product. Entrants can learn more about the contest by visiting the Uncle Ben’s Facebook page or website. The best part is that the winner will receive $15,000 and a cafeteria makeover for their school!
Tips To Creating A Winning Video:
- Keep it short and to the point. Remember, it’s an easy recipe! Be sure that it’s no longer than three minutes, ten seconds.
- Feature a rice product that has not yet won a prize or reward.
- Make your child the star! Your child should be the focal point, and the one presenting the recipe. You must either be physically present on camera or heard on the video.
- Introduce both of yourselves by first name only, and your child should introduce the dish being prepared and the recipe specifics.
- Remember not to include any music, or Logos on clothing or hats (other than the Uncle Ben’s brand).
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1½ dry rice (white or brown)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 can drained black beans
- 3 tbs. salted butter
- Turn crockpot on low. Place chicken, chopped onion and cream of chicken soup together in crockpot.
- Let the mixture cook on low for 6 hours, or until chicken is falling apart.
- Cook rice.
- With 15 minutes to spare on crockpot, stir in corn, cheese, beans and butter. Add cooked rice.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Cooking with your children makes for a great beginning! Visitwww.unclebens.com and click on The Ben’s Beginners™ Cooking Contest page to learn more!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Uncle Ben’s. The opinions and text are all mine.