My husband is one of the biggest sports fanatics I have ever met. Had he been able to, he would have gone into broadcasting in the sports area. He can spout off statistics to you for any sport, any game or player faster than the blink of an eye! We are going to have friends over to watch the last night of the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi. I thought it would be fun to throw an Olympic themed party with a green slant. Here are my ideas to have your own Olympic themed eco friendly party:
Tips For Hosting An Olympic Themes Eco Friendly Party
- Invitations: Make your own party invites at home and print on recycled paper. There are a ton of templates or you can make your own using the Olympic rings or logo and your imagination!
- Food: Be sure to include some foods that celebrate Team USA using a red-white-blue theme. We chose to do fresh blueberries and raspberries in whipped topping as a light desert. You can also do watermelon and blue berries or a white cake with fresh blueberries and strawberries in the design of the American flag. You could do Olympic ring donuts with colors of the rings or do veggies in the colors of the rings with a dip. There are a ton of recipes and ideas all over, so have fun and get creative.
- Games: Have your own Olympic games before the real games begin. Some game ideas include a torch relay race to the finish line, with teams of 2-3, using a torch you and the kids made, table top curling game (printable available online) or a javelin throw using drinking straws.
- Decorations: We make an Olympic ring chain with colored recycled paper, recycled party favor boxes we decorated ourselves and a hand decorated tablecloth of recycled plastics. You can also make your own Olympic medals, torches, flags and many other items with the kids help. We even decorated t-shirts with organic cotton!
- Table Top Items: For our eating and drinking, I recommend using plates, bowls and cups from recycled materials. One of my favorite places for these would be Susty Party and their eco-friendly party supplies.
We try to live a green life in our home and sometimes that is easier said than done! We recycle, use eco-friendly cleaning products, energy-efficient appliances, light bulbs and more. It is an old habit to use plastic bags and disposable plates, cups and utensils. With the items from Susty Party, you get high quality, well made products which are totally planet friendly. They offer eco-friendly party supplies and compostable tableware in a huge variety of sizes, colors and patterns. They use materials like sugarcane, bamboo, starch, wood, plant-based plastic and recycled plastics and paper.
All the Susty Party products are made in partnership with non-profit factories who use the visually impaired, which I just love. The products are non-toxic, made from renewable or sustainably harvested materials, and are made right here in the USA! I received a huge variety of bowls, plates and cups and we have gotten so much use from them. We have used them for 3 parties, the kids use them for snacks and we have a stack of the cups in the bathroom. The red, white and blue items we received were perfect for our Olympic themed eco-friendly party for this weekend. If you want to be green, save green and have your neighbors and friends green with envy over your uber cute party supplies, you must go to Susty Party! The prices are quite affordable, with the cups starting at $5 for 12, bowls are $4.50 for 8 and the 7″ plates are just $3.50 for 8. They have been featured on Martha Stewart and HGTV and can be found at Whole Foods, Wegmans and other stores, which can be found through their store locator. You can also find Susty Party on Twitter and YouTube and you can sign up for their newsletter on the website.
What is something you could do to thrown an Eco Friendly Olympic Party?