My kids love breaking their crayons. It drives me crazy! I hate waste, so I researched a few ways to use broken pieces of crayons! All you have to do is peel the paper off the crayon pieces and you have the perfect crafting material to make easy Valentine’s Day craft
I divided all of the colors in muffin tins
I let my Kindergardener shave the crayons with the cheese grater to get the shavings for the activity were were going to do.
Valentine’s Day Craft For Kids: Crayon Heart Suncatcher
- wax paper
- parchment paper
- hole puncher
- crayon pieces
- curling ribbon
- old towel
- cheese grater
- Lay down an old towel to iron on, then a piece of parchment paper over that. Place the wax paper on top of the parchment paper.
- Separate the crayon pieces into color groups, then lightly shave the crayons with a cheese grater over a piece of wax paper like below. Notice how sparse the shavings are. The wax really spreads when you iron it.
- Place another piece of wax paper over the crayon shavings, covered with another piece of parchment.
- With your iron set to medium heat, no steam, iron in quick passes until the wax melts to the desired configuration.
- After the wax paper cools, cut out hearts with scissors.
- Punch holes through the heart cut-outs and attach curling ribbon through the holes. I used scotch tape to keep the pieces of ribbon together.
- Curl the ribbon on the smaller hearts.
- Assemble the entire hanging in a tiered fashion.
- Hang in a window and enjoy!