After a year long battle with several health issues, I decided to take a long look at my health situation. I am 51, at least 50 pounds overweight, get easily winded, have sore joints and am tired all the time. My kids told me I was not a fun mom anymore and that really got to me. I decided to make some changes to the way I was eating. I am slowly changing over to an organic diet which includes non-GMO foods and no red meat. We buy organic chicken and fish, lots of fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains. I love orange juice and when I was offered the chance to try Uncle Matt’s Organic products, I jumped at the chance. The juices and seasonal fresh fruits are all USDA Certified Organic and they have a huge selection. You can find Uncle Matt’s at your local Kroger, Target, Earth Fare and other stores found on the Uncle Matt’s Store Locator.
You can find such delicious juice flavors as orange, apple, lemonade, orange mango, and orange tangerine. You can find Uncle Matt’s in the 59 oz size which we bought at Kroger for $3.67 as well as the smaller 12 oz size for $1.19, but check your local stores for their current price. The juices are a blend of USA grown organic Hamlin and Valencia oranges, which have been developed over four generations. The Hamlin orange has a high vitamin C content with a lively and bold flavor, while the Valencia have a rich, sweet flavor. This is a winning combination of flavors you will love. The juices are soft squeezed using premium juicing machines so you get the best flavor possible. The kids about knocked me over to get a glass of the juice as soon as we brought it home from the store! I was lucky to even have enough left to taste for myself and to make the Vegan Orange Cranberry Muffin Recipe I found on the Uncle Matt’s website. The juice has more flavor and sweetness than any juice I have ever tasted. It was like eating a fresh juice right off the tree! I knew if the juice was this amazing, the muffins would be spectacular. Be sure to follow Uncle Matt on Twitter.
Here is the Vegan Orange Cranberry Muffins Recipe from Uncle Matt’s. I tweaked the recipe just a bit to use coconut oil instead of canola oil and organic sugar and flour. The recipe called for fresh cranberries but we had Craisins®, so that is what I used instead! You can substitute what you like for these.
Vegan Orange Cranberry Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose organic flour
- ⅔ cups organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh Uncle Matt’s no-pulp organic orange juice
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons orange zest from Uncle Matt’s fresh organic orange
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries (I used Craisins® )
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Lightly grease a muffin tin
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Make a well in the center and add coconut oil, orange juice, zest and vanilla
- Mix just until all wet ingredients are moistened. About ½ way through mixing add the cranberries and nuts.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full and bake for 23 to 27 minutes, until lightly browned on top and a toothpick or knife inserted through the center comes out clean.
- When cool enough to handle, transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
What is your favorite juice and when do you usually drink it?